Official Death Valley trip (4-15)

10-4 -- keep an eye out for Will who will be arriving at the Springs on Monday as well. Just make sure you cover up your man-parts before we arrive.....we need to take some NCLR pictures that we can post on the website...

FYI - For those who haven't been to the Hot Springs they are CLOTHING OPTIONAL. And most people there lean towards the OPTIONAL versus the CLOTHED. Some "bare" sightings, inadvertent or not, will be inevitable, especially if you go for a soak in the hot tub..

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure - you are on the list. Let me know your arrival plans - we are heading to Gold Point (leaving early Friday) and will get in most likely late on Friday night.

We booked a room with Sheriff Stone at http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/ for Friday night, switching to tent camping on Saturday.

Anyone else wanting a room should make their reservation soon so he can hold the room for you - I am going to call and cancel our original Saturday and Sunday rooms if anyone wants em they will be available (the Senators house).

OK we are getting closer to the date so here are details for those of you staying at gold point Ghost Town.

1. http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/ is the website -- if you want to make CABIN reservations, do it here.

2. Bring $$$$ -- in cold hard cash. He doesn't take credit cards.

3. One way you will spend it is on DINNER and BREAKFAST - available for $18 pp and $12pp. Pork Tenderloin for Friday night, Steak on Saturday, and spiral cut Ham on Easter Sunday.

4. Another way is drinks. He has probably the best stocked bar in Nevada - but doesn't officially "sell" drinks. He only asks that you leave a "contribution" for a friend -- about what you'd pay if you were out at a bar. Ie $20 will get you 4 drinks.

5. If you camp, they want $5 for one night, $7 for 2 nights, and $10 for 3 nights. Showers are up and running and included in the camping fee.

6. We will be touring Hard Luck Castle on Sunday - there is a fee there that is also cash (I think $10 per person).

7. He will also sell us gas (last time it was $5 per gallon) and I think he may have ice (I am checking).

Please bounce back to me with how many dinners and lunches you will be having - that way I can give him an estimate.

Put me down as a 'yes' on dinner(s); whatever is on the menu.  I believe that would be (3) - Fri, Sat, Sun dinner, correct?  I can manage on breakfast so I'll pass on that for now.

I'm assuming this is a pay as you go sort of thing and not pay in advance since he doesn't take plastic.

I'll be with the convoy on Friday.  If you know your basic route/time I'll probably meet you along the way.  It sounds like you're thinking of coming up 80 to Vallejo then on to Sac and maybe 50 over to Tahoe?  Not sure if the passes are open, but  88, 108 or 4 would be more scenic and further south.

Hi Chuck!

I'm in for steak on Saturday -- that will be my arrival day. And spiral ham on Sunday.

Driving solo, just Chelsea (my RRC) and me.

Thanks,

Paul

BTW -- I will have to bail out Friday mid-morning to make it back to Atascadero by 7 pm -- a party with some Aussie friends.

--Paul

Chuck, sign me up for Saturday & Sunday dinners.

No dinner Friday since arrival time still up in air. I'm OK getting food on the road. 

I'll be making my breakfast. 

I plan to join the caravan on Friday... guess I'll be heading to Jefferson very early Friday morning! :) 

And all this assumes my truck is done and ready by then. 

Chuck -- What are doing for comm's...? I'm not  a HAM yet, so I usually bring my FRS and a CB.

--Paul

If there's still a spot let me know. I'd like to bring the 110 and my dad. Likely arrival either friday or saturday, depending on work. 

Yes, there is one spot left and I may have more depending on status of a couple of the participants. Post up what you would want for dinners and breakfasts (ie Breakfast Sat, Sun, Mon -- Dinner, Sat, Sun) - how many and likelihood you will be there. Sounds like you might miss Saturday morning breakfast. The Friday morning convoy will be leaving early it is a long drive to Esmerelda County and Gold Point.

Chuck -- What are doing for comm's...? I'm not  a HAM yet, so I usually bring my FRS and a CB.

--Paul

Paul;

Thanks for the reminder on Comms. I'll update the main page, but here it is:

-We will primarily rely on Ham and monitor 146.460. Repeater coverage is very limited in the Death Valley area - and we should be close enough together to communicate on Ham during trip. I am unaware of any Ham Repeater accessible from Saline Hot Springs.

-As a backup to ham, we will monitor CB Channel 7. But as most know, that coverage is more limited. Because of this, once folks join up with the group, we may share some Ham handhelds for your usage to monitor traffic and communicate under one of our licenses if needed.

-We be dropping in and out of cell coverage - I will gather everyone's cell numbers and set up a "group text" we can use if needed to communicate. That will most likely be the best way to send and receive messages with outsiders in the event of an emergency. They could also contact Death Valley National Park at (760) 786-3200  they have a Park repeater system that they are able to contact

the Springs with, for example. If they try to reach you before Sunday, they can also use the Gold Point number which is 775-482-4653.

- I do not personally have a SPOT device - and am not sure what ever happened to the two devices owned by the Club back in the day. Please post up if anyone attending will be bringing a SatPhone or a Spot device equivalent along this year.

-I will also, prior to departure, set up a thread to capture pictures, etc. of the trip - since we will have opportunity to update at some of our gas stops that sometimes have WiFi.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Thanks..

Wow Chuck, you're going all-in on coms.

As for HAM, I'll bring an extra hand-held or two.  Always handy to have them around if just for spotting or somebody going off on their own a bit and staying in touch with the group.

I don't recall the club having a SPOT device.  Maybe Brenton would remember from 'back in the day'?   I know a few members have them and have taken them on trips.  I've never messed with them myself.

Yes, there is one spot left and I may have more depending on status of a couple of the participants. Post up what you would want for dinners and breakfasts (ie Breakfast Sat, Sun, Mon -- Dinner, Sat, Sun) - how many and likelihood you will be there. Sounds like you might miss Saturday morning breakfast. The Friday morning convoy will be leaving early it is a long drive to Esmerelda County and Gold Point.

Chuck,

right on. Lets say we will miss Sat breakfast (likely leave Saturday morning to meet the group), should be there in the afternoon. I need to actually pick up a radio in the meantime and I'll quickly poke through the meal info. 

Archived