Deer Valley Trail REOPENED in Summer!

Super excited about this! We need to do a DV run this summer for sure. El Dorado Forest has announced that Deer Valley will be reopened this summer and will officially now be open each year at 6 weeks after snowmelt! They didn't specify closure date, but it seems that it would be open from then until January 1 (or whenever it becomes impassible due to snow). 

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/99938_FSPLT3_3908367.pdf

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/99938_FSPLT3_3908349.pdf 

Super excited about this! We need to do a DV run this summer for sure. El Dorado Forest has announced that Deer Valley will be reopened this summer and will officially now be open each year at 6 weeks after snowmelt! They didn't specify closure date, but it seems that it would be open from then until January 1 (or whenever it becomes impassible due to snow).

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/99938_FSPLT3_3908367.pdf

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/99938_FSPLT3_3908349.pdf

That's awesome, never did hear back from the high Sierras guys. They did mention this was likely to happen so glad it came through.

They were discussing the hope of the strawberry trail opening up too so you could run from 50 to highway 4.

That sounds like a great weekend trip!

That's awesome, never did hear back from the high Sierras guys. They did mention this was likely to happen so glad it came through.

They were discussing the hope of the strawberry trail opening up too so you could run from 50 to highway 4.

That sounds like a great weekend trip!

We'll be keeping an eye on the snow levels for this to open up but I'm guessing late May at this point (?)

My favorite trail! Stefano told me this was about to happen when I was at his place in Sutter Creek this past weekend. He sirt of has the inside scoop on it as he knows the guy who had the paperwork on his desk and just needed to sign off on it.

The last time I ran the trail we did it with just three vehicles, Antonio's RRC, Colin's DII and my RRC. We went up hwy. 4 and stayed at Lake Alpine the first night, did a leisurely run down Slickrock the fist day and then returned to Lake Alpine that night, then the next morning we packed up and hit Deer Valley going the reverse direction (which adds about 1 level of difficulty to the trail) and spent the 3rd night at Blue Lakes, at the Mid-Lake campground. Heading out the last day rather than drive out on the paved Blue Lakes road we took the unpaved Forestdale Rd, over the 9000ft. pass at the Forestdale Divide, ending up ad Red Lake on hwy. 88. That's basically the way I'd like to do it again, given a long weekend for the trip. Another time we simply met at Blue Lakes and blasted through to hwy. 4 and headed back home the same day. The first time I went we camped the first night at Blue Lakes, did Deer Valley in the more common North to South direction and camped at the little campground on hwy. 4 the first night, and then did Slickrock the next day, heading home after that.

We'll be keeping an eye on the snow levels for this to open up but I'm guessing late May at this point (?)

Unlikely. I would expect late July, unfortunately. It doesn't open until 6 weeks after the snow has melted. They actually mentioned in the Environmental Assessment that based on the last 10 years of snow sensor data, the opening date would have been between June 24-August 20. We should be pretty close to the middle there as far as snow pack compared to the last 10 years.

My favorite trail! Stefano told me this was about to happen when I was at his place in Sutter Creek this past weekend. He sirt of has the inside scoop on it as he knows the guy who had the paperwork on his desk and just needed to sign off on it.

The last time I ran the trail we did it with just three vehicles, Antonio's RRC, Colin's DII and my RRC. We went up hwy. 4 and stayed at Lake Alpine the first night, did a leisurely run down Slickrock the fist day and then returned to Lake Alpine that night, then the next morning we packed up and hit Deer Valley going the reverse direction (which adds about 1 level of difficulty to the trail) and spent the 3rd night at Blue Lakes, at the Mid-Lake campground. Heading out the last day rather than drive out on the paved Blue Lakes road we took the unpaved Forestdale Rd, over the 9000ft. pass at the Forestdale Divide, ending up ad Red Lake on hwy. 88. That's basically the way I'd like to do it again, given a long weekend for the trip.

That sounds absolutely perfect. I'm all for that.

Unlikely. I would expect late July, unfortunately. It doesn't open until 6 weeks after the snow has melted. They actually mentioned in the Environmental Assessment that based on the last 10 years of snow sensor data, the opening date would have been between June 24-August 20. We should be pretty close to the middle there as far as snow pack compared to the last 10 years.

That sounds absolutely perfect. I'm all for that.

U sure it's going to be that early - where are we now? 150% of normal - with more forecast!?

It will probably open just a bit before they open the Dusy. Due to all the snow we're getting, if it continues on the same pacing with the atmospheric river parked over CA with a new storm coming in every 7-10 days we are looking at being near snow levels of 2011 which was an epic year for snow in the sierra, one of the heaviest years on record in recent history. I follow a bunch of backpacking/hiking groups and people that are planning on doing the JMT or parts of the PCT this year are making plans to start later in the season due to the dumpage.

What car spec / experience would u need for this?

I really need to hit a trail this summer!

I suppose that depends on your tolerance for damage. :P There are some sizable boulders to deal with, and a water crossing that will likely be very deep this year. I did the southern section in a stock RRC with only larger tires, but I did get some damage and really held up the rest of the group. I'd say 31" tires, 2" lift, and diff guards are an absolute minimum to keep from being a drag on the group. Sliders would be very helpful in several places. May want a snorkel for the water crossing - and make sure you've waterproofed everything. I'd look for more input from those who've run the whole trail, though.

U sure it's going to be that early - where are we now? 150% of normal - with more forecast!?

Nope, it very well could be later. But I definitely don't think it will be any time before late July. If we plan a trip somewhere between mid-Aug to mid-Sep we should be very safe. Want to avoid Labor Day though as I'm sure it will be packed.

If done in the reverse direction (IE, South to North) one or both lockers are a definite plus as there's quite a bit of uphill, very rocky and loose in spots and traction aids will keep you having to be pulled up the hill. There's also the Gatekeeper right at the beginning of the trail in that direction and going through it uphill can a be a challenge without lockers.

If done in the reverse direction (IE, South to North) one or both lockers are a definite plus as there's quite a bit of uphill, very rocky and loose in spots and traction aids will keep you having to be pulled up the hill. There's also the Gatekeeper right at the beginning of the trail in that direction and going through it uphill can a be a challenge without lockers.

Yeah, we did south to north in '14 (?) and Chad impressed me by getting his basically stock RRC up and back with only some very minor damage.  I think he lost some bumper end caps, maybe dented a rocker a bit(?), smacked a diff or two (but not to the point of leaking), and coming back out the gate keeper at the end of the day we got tired and let him drop off a step a little too fast so he smacked the body behind the rear tire.

That's also the trail I broke a strut on, and Graeme unseated a rear spring then kept blowing fuel pump fuses; I think the issue there was a broken motor mount letting the engine shift and pinch a wire.  It only happened going up-hill I remember.  And I think Nick got a little crinkle in a rocker as he didn't have sliders on yet.

Definitely we WON'T do this on Labor day, but let's keep an eye on the snow levels and maybe do a weekend along the lines of what Dan mentioned.  Start thinking July-ish.

Yeah, we did south to north in '14 (?) and Chad impressed me by getting his basically stock RRC up and back with only some very minor damage.  I think he lost some bumper end caps, maybe dented a rocker a bit(?), smacked a diff or two (but not to the point of leaking), and coming back out the gate keeper at the end of the day we got tired and let him drop off a step a little too fast so he smacked the body behind the rear tire.

That's also the trail I broke a strut on, and Graeme unseated a rear spring then kept blowing fuel pump fuses; I think the issue there was a broken motor mount letting the engine shift and pinch a wire.  It only happened going up-hill I remember.  And I think Nick got a little crinkle in a rocker as he didn't have sliders on yet.

Definitely we WON'T do this on Labor day, but let's keep an eye on the snow levels and maybe do a weekend along the lines of what Dan mentioned.  Start thinking July-ish.

Don,

Also did it with a group in September last year and got further (after a P38 tie bar straightening session).  Stefano and I went on a way further but turned back to head home before dark.  Got stuck behind some over-priced broken Jeep on the way back down.

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4567-who-wants-to-offroad-sept-24-25/page-2

Regards,

Graeme

The only actual "damage" I had was the gatekeeper on the way out that you mentioned (picture below) and a small indentation in the front diff cover :( I did knock off the end caps and also a tail light guard, but those all popped back on. Somehow, I managed not to damage any rockers or anything else.

Again, I certainly would NOT RECOMMEND a stock rover go through there as I was slow as hell and you guys did a fair bit of rock stacking to help me out, but considering it was a stock RRC on factory air suspension and fully loaded with people and gear, I can't believe it managed as well as it did. 

post-986-0-30031300-1485568877_thumb.jpg

post-986-0-22677000-1485569351_thumb.jpg

post-986-0-50572100-1485569366_thumb.jpg

The first time I did it was North to South, the "easier" direction. My RRC was bone stock except for 2" lift and 31" tires. No sliders, not diff guards, no lockers, nothing except my GDE front bumper. Didn't have a single problem, but the next time I went the trail was in a bit rougher shape and I was glad for my protection gear. A D2 that was with us got significant damage...door bottoms smashed, broken window etc. You just never know.

The first time I did it was North to South, the "easier" direction. My RRC was bone stock except for 2" lift and 31" tires. No sliders, not diff guards, no lockers, nothing except my GDE front bumper. Didn't have a single problem, but the next time I went the trail was in a bit rougher shape and I was glad for my protection gear. A D2 that was with us got significant damage...door bottoms smashed, broken window etc. You just never know.

I didn't realize Colin used to drive a D2.  ;)

• 5 months later...

Archived