Feb MORG

Talked to Fuller a bit this morning; he was up that way last weekend snow camping and said we'll definitely get into some snow but he didn't expect any big problems getting to Uncle Tom's.  We may not be able to make it through to Ice House though.  Not a problem - if we can't get through we just go back out the way we came in.

Hey Don, put me down as well. I plan on bringing two buddies, 1 Jeep and 1 FJ. Let me know if this will be a problem to have the, tag along.

That's fine, so long as they promise to get stuck and be pulled out by a Rover.  They're not allowed to make any of us look bad.  :)

So Jared is out due to Baja planning is same day. Is any one going to be in or passing thru San Jose who wants to caravan? Otherwise I'll just meet everyone in Sac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family confirmed they are coming to visit so I'm out... Have fun! Looking forward to the pictures and stories. UTC is still on my list.

So Jared is out due to Baja planning is same day. Is any one going to be in or passing thru San Jose who wants to caravan? Otherwise I'll just meet everyone in Sac.

Boooo.....

I don't know if you're coming up 5 or taking 80; if you're heading up 5 you'll be coming past my place and we can hook up, but you'll be 3/4 of the way there already.   You can check out the new shop though if you want.  :)

Plan to head out at 9. That should put us there about 9:45 with time to get some coffee and sandwiches for lunch.

I'm going to meet at the rendezvous point. Leaving my place around 7:30, so won't have time to make it to your house.

So our MORG didn't go to plan but we still had a decent time.

We met as expected and rolled on up to Georgetown.  Heading out and up the hill on Wentworth Springs Rd the idea was we would hit Uncle Tom's at noon.  We were pretty much right on time too.  Then we got to the part where they stopped plowing the road and came up to a big stack of rigs, including some tow rigs with empty trailers.  A quick scout on foot showed a bunch of guys just airing down so we went ahead and did so too then started up the snowed-over road.  We didn't get far.  About 100 yards in we caught up to the first group who had been in front of us and found out why they weren't moving - ahead of them 3 trucks were already stuck.  It wasn't difficult at this point, maybe 1' deep ruts in the snow, but it was soft since it was in the low 40s and raining lightly.  The stuck vehicles consisted of a stock Explorer on street tires, a stock TJ also on street tires or at least very mild ATs who was trying to chain up, and a Tahoe that also looked stock.  Talking to the guys in front of us they they told me they were going to turn around because even if we got past these guys about 1/4 mile ahead there were huge drifts that were swallowing buggies and there was no way street rigs were getting through.  Further, they said it wasn't a great time to be up there as there was an event going on and 'every redneck with 2 teeth and a Jeep' was ahead of us.

Given the traffic and the likelihood we wouldn't be able to get through, we too turned around and slowly headed back toward Georgetown just looking for any small forest road that we could take to get into the snow.  Most of them were gated off but we found one that was paved headed south and took it, then later found a dirt road that that wasn't gated and got onto that.  Eventually we ran into a couple downed trees we were able to clear pretty easily (one by hand, one with winch) but not far after our road dead-ended so we got everybody turned around headed back the way we had came in to Wentworth Springs Rd where we aired up.  It was around 2:30 then so decided to head back to town and have lunch, while a few guys went off to find a place to play on their own and some headed home.  Ted had gone ahead and stopped in Cool at Cool Brewerks where Michele and I, Erin, and Will met up with him for some tasty beverages and a late lunch/early dinner.  After Ted had left the rest of us hung out for a while discussing matters of great significance when a guy came over and introduced himself saying he was restoring an old Series II and saw Erin's shirt and wanted to know where we were based.  He chatted (and left with one of our cards) until the rest of his party drug him away.

From there on we each went our own way home.

So not the greatest MORG ever, but still a good time.

BTW, our next couple MORGS I'm thinking-

March - Frank Raines

April - not sure on location, but will include a HAM radio session so probably a park.

I'd like to get up to both Cow Mountain and Prairie City in the near future.  PC is supposed to have more trails than the last time we were there a couple years ago.  As for CM, I hope it's less over-grown but I'm not counting on that.  I know it's crazy-slick in the rain though, so that one will probably wait a bit.

Had a great time yesterday. After everyone aired up and split a few of us decided to head back to the start of the snow for Uncle Toms Cabin. We grilled up some hotdogs aired down and decided to try to make it to Uncle Toms Cabin. We began the trail at 4:30pm and made it out close to 10:00pm. Was a lot of fun and met some great people along the way. Once we arrived to the Uncle Toms Cabin bar we had a well earned cold beer and got to put our bills up on the famous walls and ceilings. The bartender gave us a nice history lesson as we browsed through photos on the walls. The discovery did great with no issues, took a nice walk through the snow really working out my traction control as we worked our way through 2' - 3' of snow for a solid 5 hours. 

Nope, the rumors were untrue. I was talking to one of the locals that says they tend to over exaggerate the conditions to people so they keep the trails clear for themselves. Not sure if this is true but he says that happens on a regular bases. Don't get me wrong its not a walk in the park but all of us working together would have easily made it through. The only positive thing about us not continuing when we were going to is there was an event going on. Not sure if I have the term correct but I believe they called themselves clampers. They are apparently some kind of drinking guild or crew or something. There was a ton of drunks on the trail acting a little crazy on the way back at night. We helped a few get out of situations which later turned to close calls for us having them on the trail trying to speed as they passed us up in there rigs.

Nope, the rumors were untrue. I was talking to one of the locals that says they tend to over exaggerate the conditions to people so they keep the trails clear for themselves. Not sure if this is true but he says that happens on a regular bases. Don't get me wrong its not a walk in the park but all of us working together would have easily made it through. The only positive thing about us not continuing when we were going to is there was an event going on. Not sure if I have the term correct but I believe they called themselves clampers. They are apparently some kind of drinking guild or crew or something. There was a ton of drunks on the trail acting a little crazy on the way back at night. We helped a few get out of situations which later turned to close calls for us having them on the trail trying to speed as they passed us up in there rigs.

Did you bring your new D2 or the D1?

Ah yes... Clampers.... aka ECV and E Clampus Vitus.

Yep they're basically a drinking club. The one redeeming thing is they do tend to place a lot of placards at historical sites. I'm just never sure how accurate they are.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Archived