Lift installation - 1/8

So the shop has progressed to the point where it's time to install the lift.  That requires a little extra manpower.

A couple of the Sac guys and I are going to get together and install her Sunday at 11:00 at my place in Walnut Grove. All are invited to come "help", or at least point and shout directions from the peanut gallery.  Beer and pizza will be on-hand.  The job should take about half a day.

Not to worry, I'll need more help later when it comes time to install the covered carport-thing over the back pad so you'll get a chance to come join the fun later if you're not able to make it up this weekend.  :)

To give you an idea what the job entails, this is an installation of the same brand lift, though slightly smaller than mine.

Just got done watching the tutorials....  I'm sure yo got all the tools needed for the job but is there anything you may need? I got one dolly thingie but looks like you need at least four.  gonna try to make it to the install on sunday.

I've got a couple of them, so another 1 or 2 wouldn't hurt.   Although I'm not sure if we'll assemble it on the ground that way or not.  My instructions actually have each leg being stood up separately then the thing being assembled in the air.  It seems easier to do it the way they did assuming you have enough people to raise everything at once.   I can also use the forklift for the heavy lifting if needed and only have a couple guys on each side to guide things into place.

If anybody needs my address, just drop me a PM.

Let's just say it's a good thing we have a levee as otherwise I'd be swimming.

The Sacramento is currently at 23.5' downtown.  The river is expected to crest at almost 30' wed morning.  Flood stage is 33', but there will be significant flooding of lesser areas well before that.  "Action stage" is 27.5'.  The river has never actually reached official flood stage - the record was 30.5' in Feb '86.  Last season we got to 24' in March.  We also saw over 30' in '97.  

Here's the National Weather Service river page for downtown Sacramento.  That's about 35 miles up-river from me.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=sacc1&wfo=sto

Oh, my lot?  7'

The Sacramento is currently at 23.5' downtown.  The river is expected to crest at almost 30' wed morning.  Flood stage is 33', but there will be significant flooding of lesser areas well before that.  "Action stage" is 27.5'.  The river has never actually reached official flood stage - the record was 30.5' in Feb '86.  Last season we got to 24' in March.  We also saw over 30' in '97.  

Here's the National Weather Service river page for downtown Sacramento.  That's about 35 miles up-river from me.

Oh, my lot?  7'

Don,

You have a boat, right?

Graeme

The Sacramento is currently at 23.5' downtown. The river is expected to crest at almost 30' wed morning. Flood stage is 33', but there will be significant flooding of lesser areas well before that. "Action stage" is 27.5'. The river has never actually reached official flood stage - the record was 30.5' in Feb '86. Last season we got to 24' in March. We also saw over 30' in '97.

Here's the National Weather Service river page for downtown Sacramento. That's about 35 miles up-river from me.

Oh, my lot? 7'

We'll, now with the new lift, his altitude is flexible and if the need should arise ( H2O level) he can always get on the lift and wait it out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lift is in, though not quite functional at this point as at the last minute I decided to put the power unit on the left side post which meant I needed more wire than I had on hand. 

Otherwise, she's upright and all assembled.  It was a tight fit and we did move the garage door track up about an inch for clearance but she's good to go.  Tomorrow I'll pick up some more wiring and finish that bit, then fill it with oil and do the calibrations.  Pics will follow.

Thanks to my instal crew:

Jason Fuller

Drew 

Enrique

Greg

Colin

and last but not least, Graeme who stopped by late in the afternoon to supervise.  :)

Still work to do on the shop, like building the stairs to the loft and the workbench, and of course eventually I have to put the big awning/carport/cover thing up over the back slab to keep the rain off the poor unfortunate Rovers that don't make it inside.

But one step closer to fully operational!

Glad to help Don, shop looks great! I imagine many more club events there as you are in a nice central position where many folks can get there easily.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/b5de8acd7c88e2194d7bab8ac1bf68af.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Glad to help Don, shop looks great! I imagine many more club events there as you are in a nice central position where many folks can get there easily.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/b5de8acd7c88e2194d7bab8ac1bf68af.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/2d180bbd25c8f47f14e462d95af3cc22.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/2c9c40f44f5a275df00553c6dc221af5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/a59da04700a8630b013610ff3772f445.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170109/3c523d75dd54c283b0a071f11c3374ed.jpg

Happy to have contributed to the lift raising. I concur with Greg, I can see more gatherings at your place so it can have the much desired "worn in" look

It was good to see a part of California I had never been to, another place to explore in the future.

I think the entire lift assembly crew gets first dibs on lift time. Am I right guys?

You know it.  Those slackers who didn't show up are gonna have to wait in line!

BTW Enrique, that's the Big Store you shot a pic of.  Owners used to be my neighbors but they sold years ago.  Believe it or not our little town has 3 grocery stores plus a mini-mart and liquor store with a fair selection of groceries.  Also 2 dentists.  And a pretty successful foreign car repair shop.  I never have figure out how all that survives in a town of 1500 people.

I think the entire lift assembly crew gets first dibs on lift time. Am I right guys?

I'm already working on a list ;)

But seriously, it could make replacing the LCA's on the lr3, a lot easier.

But Don, you should have a "house rules" posted on the wall:

Clean tools after using or bring your own,

Shop clean up

Replacement towels

Toilet clean up etc

As those things don't clean themselves and I didn't see a hired janitorial staff and Don shouldn't get stuck having to clean up after wrenching

But I can see a "shop warming party" in the future

IMO

Lift goes up.

Lift goes down.

....and it was good.

Picked up some more cable today and did the wiring then adjusted the balance cables, filled the tank, bled the cylinders, and ran it up/down a few times.  No signs of leaks and everything seems to be working correctly.  I haven't put a load on it yet since it's raining and I was too lazy to pull the muddy LR3 into the shop but we'll do a proper load test this weekend.

And Enrique you're right - much easier to do LCAs on the LR3 on the lift.  It will be even easier once I get my bench built and transfer all my tools out there.  That's next on the list.  I already have the materials, I just need to make a welding jig and start.  Hopefully I'll make progress on that this weekend.

I also took care of wearing some of the 'new' off the shop floor yesterday by starting the fab work of making my workbench.  Basically a bunch of welding/cutting/grinding of steel which makes quite the mess.  With any luck I'll get it built up fully over the weekend, then I can start the long process of moving everything out there and getting it organized.  

Or maybe I'll work on the stairs.  I've been putting that off until I know if they want to do an inspection for appraisal.  Gotta raise those property taxes!

Archived