Official 2017 Shaver Lake trip thread

So I'll be at the Valero Gas Station

1502 E Yosemite Ave, Madera CA 94638 at about 10AM

As well, my group will be heading out to snow board Sunday if anyone else would like to come ( http://www.skichinapeak.com/lift-tickets

Justin,

For info. there is also a "Subway" in the little row of shops there, oh, and a doughnut shop. Although the turn-over is high, so they could have closed since I was last there .....

Regards,

Graeme

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the RRC feels like making the trip (which is our version of inshallah), we'll be up there on Friday, mid day, not sure if anyone else would be, but we will be having pizza at the village for dinner, very likely, so if you are around, stop by, if you feel so inclined.

The last several months have not been kind to my trip plans. Brittany has to handle a major audit at work that may bleed over the weekend. Probably won't know if we can make it until late Friday night. :(

We need an unlike button   :wacko:

I have been away from this p

Thread for too long . Does anyone have an available site?

You could share my spot with us. When we get up there we can just pay for an additional vehicle 

Weather might be interesting this year...

Looks like highs are around 50 thu Wednesday then it starts to cool off with snow for Sat/Sun.

Of course, it is called a 'Snow Run' for a reason   :)

So I'll be at the Valero Gas Station

1502 E Yosemite Ave, Madera CA 94638 at about 10AM

As well, my group will be heading out to snow board Sunday if anyone else would like to come ( http://www.skichinapeak.com/lift-tickets

What an awesome way to end your trip.  I don't snowboard, but a little skiing makes sense to me since you're already in the white stuff...

Justin Does your spot have enough room for my popup trailer??

I'm sure we could manage to fit it. I checked online and I believe we are like the only people camping that weekend

But for me and my group we plan on just setting up the RTT, so we should have more than enough space for ya 

Also for what ever reason the separation between our neighbor site is showing to be double the size of others.

Sooooooo....the kids and I are in a play and rehearsal got cancelled for this weekend so the family and I will be able to head up to Shaver.   I will be bringing my three kids (one of Oliver's friends) and our new au pair that just arrived from Sweeden.  Yup, a full truck indeed!!

Is there room out there for a 6 person tent or should I reserve a spot?  

Can't wait for the pizza!!

Sooooooo....the kids and I are in a play and rehearsal got cancelled for this weekend so the family and I will be able to head up to Shaver.   I will be bringing my three kids (one of Oliver's friends) and our new au pair that just arrived from Sweeden.  Yup, a full truck indeed!!

Is there room out there for a 6 person tent or should I reserve a spot?  

Can't wait for the pizza!!

Oh, wait for all the smart-arse comments ....

Regards,

Graeme

Oh, wait for all the smart-arse comments ....

Regards,

Graeme

I am sure they will come... especially when I say that it is actually a musical in which I have to sing and dance and NO I can not do either!!   Ah the things we do for our kids!

yada yada yada kids, musical, blah blah blah SWEDISH AU-PAIR.  

Wait - what was that last part????

As for having 6 people along, you may want your own spot just for a little privacy.  The spaces can generally handle 2 tents/rigs without any problem but you'll have a full-house.

Plus you'll need room for the stage.  And a changing room for between acts.  And room for the orchestra....

As we're almost there, let's talk about the run groups.

The plan as outlined in post 2 is two groups with me leading the early risers at 7:45 and Lutzi leading the sleepy-heads at 9:00

We have a lot of rigs this year and with the weather we've had it's certainly going to be a lot of stuck-time.  I'm hoping since we're doing our runs on Sunday others may go on Saturday and cut trail for us.  Still, expect to work on your recovery skills.

We also need to make a point of getting moving ON TIME.  So plan to be ready to roll BEFORE the departure time so we can be wheels-up at 7:45 and 9:00 instead of just bumbling around trying to get rigs packed and moving then.

With that all out of the way, who's up for which run group?  Ideally we'll be fairly evenly split. 

So for the SCLR Contingent:

Heard from Eric with TR yesterday morning and he's not going to be able to make it. He was planning on coming - but unbeknownst to him, his wife made plans for his birthday which is this weekend.

Havent heard anything from Keanan or Garrett as of yet. Will touch base with them tomorrow to get a yay/nay. 

Will touch base with Brad as well. Shaver is relatively close for him since he lives in Bakersfield.

Chris, Jose, Myself, and Erez + 1 are still on board. 

Hopefully this upcoming storm cools down a bit and gives us snow instead of rain. The forecast was looking good for snow, but now it's looking like rain/snow/rain/snow.. in that order from Friday with maybe a little bit of sun on Sunday with more rain for the drive home on Monday.

Last time I looked it said rain Friday changing to snow Sat and Sun but who knows with the weather-guessers.

Here's the current NWS forecast for Shaver Lake from Friday on:

Friday

Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 10am. High near 48. South southeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Friday Night
Rain before 10pm, then snow, possibly mixed with rain. Low around 31. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Saturday
Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all snow after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 48. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. North northeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 51. Calm wind.
Sunday Night
Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Washington's Birthday
Rain. High near 50. Breezy, with a south wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Just looked at the webcams and it's currently raining in Shaver Lake @5600', but up at Rancheria which sits @8000' and it's snowing there.. So less snow in town, but more on the area where the trail runs. Hopefully the snow level drops some more because i'd rather deal with snow than rain.

So I will be arriving Saturday at noon at the Valero Gas Station

1502 E Yosemite Ave, Madera, CA 93638

If anyone wants to ride up with us, feel free. 

I was going to try to head up earlier, although I feel with the snow etc I'd rather go around noon time. Does anyone think we will need chains getting up that summit?

More info on our outing to the ski resort 

We will be hitting China Peak resort Sunday around noon and leaving around 6

Its just about $80 for a lift ticket w/ board and boot rentals (actually really cheap compared to Tahoe) 

Archived