Brenton,

You think wrong ... it is a 10mm.

Graeme

The day prior to our Mike's Sky Rancho climb was when we first noticed problems with the truck.  After a winch-up of Ivan's RRC and two other RRCs making it up with no issue, it was clear there was something wrong.

And a well insulated sleeve so you don't get third degree burns on your arm reaching up there!

This.  After two steep ascents, both of which Ivan's truck could not accomplish on its own, we had to pull his truck to the side and see what was going on.  Unfortunately, as daylight was slipping away and we tried to wait for Ivan's very hot truck to cool down, David and Ivan braved it and attempted to engage the center diff lock manually.

Initially it sounded like it took, but it didn't take much time to realize that we were still in the same predicament as before.  At that point we had no time to waste and made the decision to proceed to our evening waypoint.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just made it across the border after waiting in line for 5 hours.

Oh man.  5 hours of that would drive me bonkers... and I thought the 2-hour wait in 2014 was bad.

My border agent was a total jerk.  I don't need a smile, but you could just tell he was miserable about being where he was and wanted to make sure I knew how miserable he was.  Just kept my mouth shut and was glad I didn't end up in secondary inspection.

...making a stop over at Mexxi's where NCLR members can welcome then and their awesome 110. I will post dates as they confirm their arrival...

Excellent!  I didn't have much time talking to Luis or Sylvia at Bahia de Los Angeles, so it would be great to listen to more of their stories on the way up from Honduras.  Count me in.

just got home a couple of hours ago. Great trip but too tired to post any pics right now. Lr3 limped all the way home thanks to a hack provided by our own Colin Brown of CTMotorwerks, Thanks Colin! 

Emergency hack on an LR3?  I'm going to guess coolant bleeder T failed and was fixed with ball point pen and tape/clamps or suspension problem that tried to put the truck on the bumpstops and was fixed by forcing pump to run then pulling fuses to prevent lowering.

Do I get a prize if I'm right?

Emergency hack on an LR3?  I'm going to guess coolant bleeder T failed and was fixed with ball point pen and tape/clamps or suspension problem that tried to put the truck on the bumpstops and was fixed by forcing pump to run then pulling fuses to prevent lowering.

Don,

Oh, come on, nothing more adventurous than that?  No "airbag collapsed and fixed using a beachball", or "radiator leak, fixed with Cholula and flour mixed together", or "thermostat stuck closed, fixed by removing the spring and valve".

Regards,

Graeme

Actually the thermostats on these tend to fail open from what I've seen.  

Also of note, you can buy the thermostat as a bunch of separate parts, so you have to assemble it - including the spring - into the housing.  Would be easy to remove the spring if a person wanted to. 

But I see they are going to keep us in suspense.  Was Colin on this trip or was this a remote tele-repair?

I do want to give you points for the beach ball air bag though.  I liked that one.  :)

ooohhhh....somebody has leaked that my second guess may have been correct!

What's my prize???

and the fuzzy monkey goes to.... (drum roll please) : DHappel!!!

You are correct sir, after being on the trail for two days, Maximus (LR3) decided to go let its flatulance out and it went down on its knees at the exact same place  as the year before! What are the odds that it would choose to break down at the same spot?? We had to do an act of exorcism and get the demons out (by pulling the fuses out), thanks to our satellite phone and Colin we were able to revive Maximus and continue on to Bay of Angels for some  R&R and enjoy the bounties of the sea. 

I still haven't been able to take to Colin to have it properly diagnosed but i'm pretty sure the air compressor needs to be replaced.

Many Thanks to David and everyone else in our group for helping with the issue!

Depending on which compressor you have (AMK or Hitatchi) it can be rebuilt pretty easily.  I even have a rebuild kit sitting on my shelf that I never used.  The main issue with the early compressors was the desiccant breaking down to a powder and being circulated through the air lines and/or a crack developing between the two air fittings on the top of the dryer.  The kit remedies both of those with new desiccant and a metal cap to replace the plastic one, as well as a new ring for the piston and I think some other bits I can't recall right off.

Depending on which compressor you have (AMK or Hitatchi) it can be rebuilt pretty easily.  I even have a rebuild kit sitting on my shelf that I never used.  The main issue with the early compressors was the desiccant breaking down to a powder and being circulated through the air lines and/or a crack developing between the two air fittings on the top of the dryer.  The kit remedies both of those with new desiccant and a metal cap to replace the plastic one, as well as a new ring for the piston and I think some other bits I can't recall right off.

I would be very interested in learning more about this kit, how it works and where do i get one. My truck is an '06 and i'm not sure which compressor was used for that year. I assume it was Hitachi. 

I spent quite a bit of cashola getting Maximus ready for the trip (LCA's, New radiator. hoses, etc..) and any savings on this repair would be nice.

Speaking of radiators & hoses... If you own an older LR3 and have not replaced your radiator or at least take a good look and the inlet & outlet hose connectors!

The top hose  came off on its own while my son was driving the truck just a few nights before the Baja trip. Sent the truck to Colin and he found that the plastic outlet was literally disintegrating and that, made the hose come off causing a major loss of coolant while my son was driving, luckily , it happened just three blocks from the house (he didn't notice until he got home) $1,100.00 later all was well but it could have been a major disaster!

The top hose  came off on its own while my son was driving the truck just a few nights before the Baja trip. Sent the truck to Colin and he found that the plastic outlet was literally disintegrating and that, made the hose come off causing a major loss of coolant

Scott had this happen on his LR3 back in 2015 when we did the White Mountain run. We were heading up Silver Canyon Road out of Laws on our way up the east side of the Whites. Happened right before we hit the switchbacks. Fortunately for Scott just the securing lip on the rad gave way so he was able to put the hose back on and throw a couple of extra hose clamps on there and it held for the rest of the trip. Unfortunately for him he's got the V6 motor in his truck and the bit of hard plastic fell off and down the crossover hose that runs down and across the front of the motor. Ended up having to drop his front skid plate in the dirt and remove the offending hose and fish the bits of plastic out. We had enough water and coolant to get him going again so once that was sorted we decided to detour around and take the easy route up the Whites out of Big Pine. Big detour but we all made it..

Can't I at least get those dipped in chocolate?

As for the radiator, now you have me nervous as I'm leaving first thing in the morning and haven't given the rad a good look over.  

Thanks for helping me get a good night's sleep!

Can't I at least get those dipped in chocolate?

As for the radiator, now you have me nervous as I'm leaving first thing in the morning and haven't given the rad a good look over.  

Thanks for helping me get a good night's sleep!

Don, As a step of extra safety measure, put a regular clamp on it (the kind with a worm screw) I drove it like that (50 miles) with no issues.

Have a fun trip (and get some sleep).

Archived