• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Chris dropping out, does that open up a space for the waiting list group?  I think Lauro and Michal were in backup.

I pm'd them. too little time for Lauroness to make it happen. 

We do have a spot open for anyone that can get ready in time.

Good morning Baja group;

Updates on my side... got my Mexican insurance for the days we're out there; heading out to Don's Wrenching Day tomorrow to do some tidying up and an oil change/suspension check.

Not sure how many Range Rover Classic trucks are going to be on the trip, but here is the list of spares I will have on hand; if anyone else is driving an RRC down, we can coordinate parts availability.

RedRover is a 1992 3.9L V8 base model.

• Fuel Pump kit (includes fuel pump assembly, sealing ring, unions and nuts) (and yes I have the access port on my truck, so no need for cutting or dropping the tank)

• Starter

• Hose set

• 2x belt kit (but only 1x alternator belt since I used one already)

• O2 Sensor

• Rear tail lamp bulbs

• Distributor amplifier module

• Ignition coil (Bosch)

oh, oh, I like this, so mine (from memory, I may bring more stuff):

1995 RRC LWB 4.2 

1 spare CV joint

Alternator regulator

bunch of fuses, relays, lamps, and assorted electrical trickery 

most likely a rovergauge with laptop

MAF

step by step idle regulator

(surprise box of items)

RRCs for the win!

Hi guys - what would I need to have to make it for this trip from legalities perspective (e.g. Insurance etc). I am just trying to figure out if I have enough time to prepare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michal,

I think Mexican car insurance is all... for my truck it came out to $90 for the days we are across the border.  There is a tourist visa that some elect to get, but we had no need for it last time.

Join us!

Well, I'm waiting for the call... "I have great news, we got your truck done ahead of schedule, and for less than quoted". Yeah, said no shop. ever. 

So, I stopped holding my breath for this Baja trip... and it's a real shame!  

Hi guys - what would I need to have to make it for this trip from legalities perspective (e.g. Insurance etc). I am just trying to figure out if I have enough time to prepare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

passports

They found my engine that was lost in transit (shipper claims label got loose)! whatever.

It's way late for this (and also Death Valley)...sad, and sad.

However, I read a post on a NCLR FB post that there are talks about a fall trip back to Baja? Sign me up! :)

They found my engine that was lost in transit (shipper claims label got loose)! whatever.

It's way late for this (and also Death Valley)...sad, and sad.

However, I read a post on a NCLR FB post that there are talks about a fall trip back to Baja? Sign me up! :)

Same here sign me up!

Hola mis amigos!

Back from another great Baja trip (this being my second.) I'm unpacking and already reminiscing on some of the amazing things we did and saw on this journey.

As you probably know, one of the best parts of an overlanding trip like this is the people you meet, both within your convoy and within the towns you pass through. I'll do a detailed trip report but the basic theme I'm finding when I've done longer drives like Baja or Oregon; it wouldn't have been the same without each unique situation we ended up in and the people you do it with -- it's what entices you to come back each time.

Special thanks to Baja Land for taking us on this adventure and Enrique for getting it on the NCLR calendar with great frequency.

Here are the photos I shared from this trip:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1a5VaUrzBjwJz

Thanks for sharing the pictures...sounds and looks like a fantastic trip.

Still sad about missing out... but will be ready for the next one. 

I noticed the Coca Cola in one of the pictures. In the U.S., a lot of people prefer Coca Cola imported from MX. I think Home Depot sells these by the cases. Is the opposite true? Do people in MX prefer Coca Cola imported from the U.S.? Or do they also prefer natural sugar over corn syrup stuff? ;) 

post-999-0-78392600-1491708170_thumb.png

Yep - the photos of Ivan's RRC (the yellow one) with the hood up was when we reached Mike's Sky Rancho... cool place. Totally dead because it was middle of the week and no event going on but a shaded area to take care of some ignition issues on Ivan's RRC.

Image 3.png

I also took a photo of an old 80's Camel Trophy Bike sticker I found (the stickers are all over the windows (even the guest rooms.)

Image 4.png

The real story is immediately after Mike's Sky Rancho -- I'll post it later but suffice it to say, we made very slow progress and was certainly some of the most exciting climbing I did on the trip. We had quite a few off-camber, 1100m dropoff areas which, for RedRover wasn't a big deal (except for ground clearance) but David's RRC in the lead was critical in helping Ivan's RRC make it up some of the challenging elevation increases. Ivan recently had an LT230 swapped in, but the central diff lock linkage was not connected by whomever did the work, so he had a lot of difficulty getting up steep and crumbly inclines.

Thanks for sharing the pictures...sounds and looks like a fantastic trip.

Still sad about missing out... but will be ready for the next one. 

I noticed the Coca Cola in one of the pictures. In the U.S., a lot of people prefer Coca Cola imported from MX. I think Home Depot sells these by the cases. Is the opposite true? Do people in MX prefer Coca Cola imported from the U.S.? Or do they also prefer natural sugar over corn syrup stuff? ;)

I would say they generally have non-HFCS Coca-Cola, but not necessarily other beverages.

Below is a photo (hopefully right-side up) of a Coke can and a 7-UP can I brought back from Bahia de Los Angeles.

Image.png

Image 2.png

Ivan recently had an LT230 swapped in, but the central diff lock linkage was not connected by whomever did the work, so he had a lot of difficulty getting up steep and crumbly inclines.

Welcome back everyone!

Did they try to lock it at the t-case under the truck? A 1/4 turn with a 9mm (I think) wrench will lock/unlock an LT230.

Just made it across the border after waiting in line for 5 hours. Luis and his family in his defender 110 are staying in the LA area for a couple of days to get some work done on the truck at OC ROVERS. Then they will head north to Yosemite and Sequoia National Park; then the bay area, making a stop over at Mexxi's where NCLR members can welcome then and their awesome 110. I will post dates as they confirm their arrival. We had another great Baja 2017 trip with wonderful people and exciting challenges. We will post pics when Isabel and I get home. (Currently driving while enjoying the beautiful sunset at San Diego Bay)

I would say they generally have non-HFCS Coca-Cola, but not necessarily other beverages.

Below is a photo (hopefully right-side up) of a Coke can and a 7-UP can I brought back from Bahia de Los Angeles.

I have to say.... their use of "ENERGETICO" in labeling sounds so much better than calories we use in the States. 

No one ever says... I want more calories. 

Energetico, on the other hand... heck yeah, gimme more of that! 

post-999-0-60615000-1491796561_thumb.png

Enrique - make sure Luis checks what passes are open/closed on his way from Yosemite to the bay.  Given we had yet more snow over the weekend a lot of stuff is still closed.

Archived