Hola Amigos, Amigas, Ninos and Ninas!

Time to plan for our Baja 2017 Trip!

Enrique and I will be hosting a trip planning dinner on the wknd of Feb 4/5 (date/time TBD).  Ideally max of 6 vehicles to make it more manageable (we can have more but TBD).

Will be making and sharing some tacos :) and serving cold Pacificos and Jarritos (which is a Mexican soda brand) to get us all in the mode during the planning session.  You are more than welcome to contribute and bring your own dish/drinks to share.

We will cover (more details will be covered during our planning session):

- Trip dates, where we're going, stopping, and return to the USA

- Logistics, routes, total miles, gas stops, etc...

- Essentials for border crossing: valid passports, Mexican auto insurance, when to exchange US dollars to pesos, etc...

- Off-Road essentials: extra fuel can, drinking water, recovery gear, tools, etc...

- Other essentials: first aid kit, water shoes

- Driving in Mexico - Do's and Don't

- Returning to the USA - Do's and Don't

Will to try cover all these in 2 hours including Q&A

Can we get a count on who can attend this planning session (both attendees who can go to Baja or on the fence still are welcome)?

Can we get a count on who can't attend this planning session due to conflicting sched but are planning to go to Baja?

Any questions at this time?

Ron

Ok our pre-planning meeting for Baja is this Saturday afternoon/early evening.  Let's agree on the time for 2 hrs.  Here's the confirmed list of attendees for our pre-planning mtg.   And interest list - let us know if you can make it or not:

1) Enrique - Confirmed

2) Ron - Confirmed

3) Jared - Confirmed

4) Chris - Confirmed

5) David (and Luismi) - can't attend the pre-planning but confirmed for Baja.

6) Kevin - Confirmed

Alpaca and Hinesdisco - still interested?

Enrique will make enough fish tacos for the attendees, and I will provide the beverages Pacificos and Water or Soda.

Attached is a image of Baja Mexico, and for folks who have traveled to Baja in the past will recognize the places we traveled to such as TJ, Mexicali, Ensenada, Catavina, San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, Mulege and even as far as Loreto.

Our destination this year will either be Bahia De Los Angeles (beach/water) or the dessert/mountains.  Will discuss during the pre-planning. 

I will PM my address to the confirmed attendees.  Let me know who else is interested in attending.

post-410-0-96918700-1486101179_thumb.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enrique is locked out so he can't post.

We chatted yesterday and we are on for today Saturday 6pm - I will email the address to the confirmed attendees.

Bring your empty stomach, enjoy the good food and drinks, and let's firm up our trip plans for Baja.

Once the plans are baked, we will share it to attendees including those folks (David and Luismi) who can't make the planning trip.  They don't need GPS - just point them to Tacos El Fenix and they are good to go!

This will be the beginning of an interesting year to travel inside Mexico given the political atmosphere, and will need to discuss safety as priority, and risk management including removing any political themed bumper stickers.  I can see the smart remarks/post coming in so don't think about it Rupert, Graeme, etc... :)

Adios amigos!

Ron

This will be the beginning of an interesting year to travel inside Mexico given the political atmosphere, and will need to discuss safety as priority, and risk management including removing any political themed bumper stickers.  I can see the smart remarks/post coming in so don't think about it Rupert, Graeme, etc... :)

Ron

So what you're saying is you're Hoping for Change from those guys?

(sorry, couldn't resist  :)  )

Ron,

So, Pink Floyd themes are out?http://i3.cpcache.com/product/1149528518/brick_in_the_wall_sticker_oval.jpg?color=White&height=460&width=460&qv=90

Enrique is locked out so he can't post.

Locked out sounds so harsh. The grace period ended on Jan. 31 so any members who hadn't renewed were automatically reverted to guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked out sounds so harsh. The grace period ended on Jan. 31 so any members who hadn't renewed were automatically reverted to guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok how about locked out as guest.  J/k.  Ok renew time for those who haven't.  C yah

Great get together last night.  Enrique thank you for the excellent food as usual.  The Baja trip is on, and the group decided to close the sign-up and keep it to a small manageable group of the following:

- DiscoChef (Enrique & his Daughter) LR3

- CT110 (Ron Boston & his 2 Sons) DII

- DCProven (David Provencio & his Daughter plus a guest Luismi w/his 110) RRC

- RedRover (Jared) RRC

- Lithium1330 (Chris) D90

Our trail leader once we are in Mexico will be Alejandro from Baja Land Rover Club.

Total of 7 trucks including the trail leader.

We will share the trip details soon as we get a more information on the National Park we may want to check-out, and a relief mission (drop off used eye glasses, clothes, etc...) which is our way of giving back to community.

Ron

post-410-0-76430800-1486354952_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

David,

April 1-8

The plan is to meet in San Ysidro (like last year) in the late AM on Saturday April 1

Head to Valle de Guadalupe to visit some wineries, then spend the night at a winery (we're arranging that).

Sunday morning; Tacos  El Fenix then head to San Pedro Martir in the Sierras (semi-difficult trail. two nights here.

Then tuesday head to bahia de los angeles (all day drive) then set up camp there for the next two days so we may enjoy all of Baja's hospitality i. e. fishing, eating, snorkeling , whale watching, and just plain old relaxation!

friday, start heading North . Cross the border in mexicali.

that's the brief synopsis

saludos!

We're doing a NCLR donation at one of the villages on the way to the observatory. Anything you want to get rid of that is still in usable condition;

toys, balls, bikes, reading glasses, shoes, blankets,

CRUTCHES!

i was looking up Mexico car insurance coverage for this trip.

Is there a recommendation who to go with? I found AAA offers it, along with some smaller insurance brokers that came up on google. 

I feel like last time we got our Mexican insurance through our agent... Erin might remember better than I...

I feel like last time we got our Mexican insurance through our agent... Erin might remember better than I...

I got ours through AAA online.  There is a link somewhere on their website for Mexican insurance.  It's super easy.

https://sb.iigins.com/quote/?aff_id=AAA

We're doing a NCLR donation at one of the villages on the way to the observatory. Anything you want to get rid of that is still in usable condition;

toys, balls, bikes, reading glasses, shoes, blankets,

CRUTCHES!

How about pens and binders for kids?  My boss has been collecting these things since I went two years ago.

Ok so spoke with holly and we have to attend a Baby Shower for half the day in San Diego on Saturday. Looks like it's only a 2hr drive south. I've got some question before I can make a confirmation. 1) what's a budget like for a trip like this? I'm curious on what we will need to spend money on besides fuel. How does one prep to bring enough food to be on the road for 7 nights? Does anyone have a check list?

Archived