Quail Lodge

Has anyone done the Quail Lodge land rover experience in Carmel? On November 11 they have an owners day where you bring your own truck and drive it on their track. It is $300 which seems excessively expensive since all you're doing is driving on their land. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts. If it was a true off-road class where you learn the fundamentals of off-roading I would be interested. If it is just driving around on your own I am not interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't heard of this but I just looked into it. It does sound like a nice time.

Still, $300 is pretty steep for a day of tooling around on trails.

Participating in a MORG lead by one or two of the more experienced members (probably at a $5 SVRA) seems like a great place to start.

I did the full day course within the first year owning my RRS and did a half day maybe 3-5 years ago using a raffle prize I won at the annual. I can't imagine a scenario where $300 would be worth it. There aren't a lot of trails there. I think even on the half day I was doubling back on some trails. If a LRDI rides shotgun and gives you lessons it could be better, but I would think you could do the same for a lot less at a MORG or other club event.

They use to have Camel Trophy instructors, that's probably part of the cost. Also Quail Lodge is definitely not in the low rent district. It's an event for new owners to see what LRs can do. It's mild trails for spouses/significant others/newbies to try driving "offroad". I've heard women screaming at their hubbies crossing very mild mud puddles in their new LRs while the instructors are spotting them cross .

Only worth it for seeing spouses go nuts... Otherwise go MORG.

We've been to two of these events.  The first was when we bought the 2012 RR and then a second time with the RRC.  The time we brought the classic was the best because they used it as the show piece of the event since very few of the Land Rover owners had ever seen one.  They also used us the true test to off-roading and taught the rest of the crew about cadence breaking. 

All in all, both experiences were fun and the instructors are really cool.  Honestly, the best part about the property is the lodge.  Unfortunately the cost of the "class" doesn't include room and board, but I highly recommend Quail Lodge as the place to stay for a weekend getaway in Carmel. 

From my dealings with the folks down there, it is a structured off-road driving school focused on driving current model Land Rover vehicles through various obstacles on their 180 acres in Carmel Highlands. It's a posh gig as you'd expect including instruction on steep climbs/descents, off-camber, traction, bumper deep water crossing, what to think about then teaching what to do with approach angle, break over angle, departure angles etc... recovery, winching, etc...  They gauge your skill level and experience then instructors ride shotgun with you guiding you through the various scenarios.

You'll have to decide if that is worth $300 or not. But, good questions, and open mind and willingness to try will get you a lot of good instruction from various NCLR Club members at a MORG or on a trip ;-)    Think about it this way, many of us will offer our opinion on how we'd approach an obstacle, *all* of us will jump in and help with the recovery so why not give it a try??  ;-)

November MORG coming up in Folsom Lake area. $300 will go a long way towards coffee and snacks for folks offering to "share their knowledge of off-roading"*

:-) 

Honestly, the best part about the property is the lodge.  Unfortunately the cost of the "class" doesn't include room and board, but I highly recommend Quail Lodge as the place to stay for a weekend getaway in Carmel. 

Plot Twist

:-)

I took a day course there in 2013, when I was thinking about buying an LR4. The experience convinced me that it was the car for me -- way better than the 4Runner and Tahoe trail trucks I was also considering.

The instruction was excellent, and covered everything from crawling over a rock, backing up in the woods, sliding sideways on a muddy bank (and turning into the slide), intro to winching,  etc. The course is mostly snaking through live oak forest. All in all, I would say that the NCLRC MORGs and trips cover most of the same experiences, but over time and as things come up. For me, the day course was money well spent. I was a novice off-roader at the time, with most of my experience in an old Wrangler in Florida savanna land (no hills, no rocks, some pine trees and palmettos but nothing like a California forest). I am guessing most cub members are way past where I was at the time.    

A clarification. When I first did it, it was many yrs ago and I was slightly past the newbie stage. I cant remember if I paid or won a raffle for Quail Lodge.

In the past, a few dealerships offered free "offroad" experience to their new owners. It was invite only. I remember RWC and Rocklin offering "trips" to a ranch in Bodega Bay.

My father received an invite a few years ago and we thought about heading down to give him a taste of offroading. I can only imagine that it is an incredible setting and very professional. I also think it is geared toward newer trucks with the different off road modes, descent control and such to show off the capabilities of the new rovers. If u have a 110 like your profile, I think you will get more out of a dedicated off road trail trip or even a MORG to test the limits of your truck. Assess articulation, ground clearance, need for lockers, etc. Driving an older truck is very different from the new vehicles. I would save the $300 for gear/parts or gas for a long trip.

I have done the Wheels events at Quail (more laid back and jovial) as there is a mix of new/experienced at that event.  I met Alyson at one of those events, leading her to the club, with LRRC.  I have driven both my RRC and Will's Shrek there...that is where I learned that the Disco unspringing in the tank traps was unnerving to me...not the same effect as with the RRC.  These days are fun, and instruction (when needed) is top notch.  And it was free   :)  Pic of green truck.

I have done an owners day there as well.  Well I didn't, I brought my wife down to drive her 1995 LWB on course.  We were supposed to have a group, but ended up only being us, so we had Justin's expertise for the entire time.  She was able to get the TC to work, navigated the traps, the water, the side tilt.  We had her do the tank traps and she deftly lifted the rear tires off about 5 feet or more above dirt as she piloted down the trail.  I walked the entire day taking in the free training on lines, spotting, and communications.  Not sure if we won or paid or ....but for her it was a great day/experience and I learned a lot out of the truck too.  Pics of white truck...

post-409-0-84812800-1477589611_thumb.jpg

post-409-0-41970600-1477589619_thumb.jpg

post-409-0-75248000-1477589626_thumb.jpg

Has anyone done the Quail Lodge land rover experience in Carmel? On November 11 they have an owners day where you bring your own truck and drive it on their track. It is $300 which seems excessively expensive since all you're doing is driving on their land. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts. If it was a true off-road class where you learn the fundamentals of off-roading I would be interested. If it is just driving around on your own I am not interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done it about 3x now -- $300 is excessively expensive.  Of course, your other option is to buy a new Land Rover and get the 'Owner's Day' for free... certainly not a cheaper route... but you do get a new LR out of it...   :D

Isn't the 'owners day' supposed to be free?

What is this $300?

I would like to go down and run the trails once, never went last year when they said it was 'free', wonder if that changed.

Owners days are the only times you can drive your Land Rover on their trails. If it's not an Owner Day event, you would use one of the shiny new Land Rovers they have.

Oh and nothing there is free unless you think dropping $50k or significantly more (come on, I know I'm not the only one who's built an autobiography edition online) on a brand new Land Rover that comes with a certificate you can use for a day at the Land Rover Experience is something free, then hop to it!

Owners days are the only times you can drive your Land Rover on their trails. If it's not an Owner Day event, you would use one of the shiny new Land Rovers they have.

Yeah I follow you there... I swear there was some instagram photo from one of the LR accounts that talked about owners day being FREE if you brought your own on that one day a year... 

Now everywhere I look up it says $300+. Shame...

Oh and nothing there is free unless you think dropping $50k or significantly more (come on, I know I'm not the only one who's built an autobiography edition online) on a brand new Land Rover that comes with a certificate you can use for a day at the Land Rover Experience is something free, then hop to it!

Special Deal!!! Buy 1, Get 1 FREE!

*First item must be of $70,000 or greater value. Free item must be of $300 or less value to qualify.

Archived