Signal Peak - October 22

I had a great time today, thanks to Jason for dragging the kids and I up to the top!

Here's some of the highlights to go with the trip report Don is writing up.

Next time I'll take the disco!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like fun. Who made it up the steps? Snow already? You guys probably had the last window of opportunity up there. We are supposed to have 2 storms coming through this week and the trail will be tough wet and impassable if covered in snow.

When we got to the steps I had somehow gotten into the lead.  I stopped at the bottom and asked on the radio if people wanted to go up or or go straight and around and most said yes so I headed up.  I got up the first bit of loose/wet stuff then had to get out and study the line.  I decided I wasn't going to be able to do it without a spotter and ended up taking the easy line to the left.  Nick came along and ran the same line.  Michael and Chad took the harder line to the right, both going wide near the edge instead of trying to stay tight to the tree.  Nills had initially been right behind me and when I made the turn up the hill he pulled straight ahead a bit and parked to watch the climb.  Though he certainly could have done the line I did he decided it was easier to just keep going forward and cross the mud bog instead of going up the rocky hill.  Fuller went around with him so he didn't have to go alone.

We did see some snow, but only a tiny bit.  You'd have been hard pressed to find more than a couple inches or a spot big enough to get all four tires in at once.  But like you said, clearly the window is closing and if we get the rain we're expecting in the next couple days it might be over until spring.  Though I'd be willing to try the trail (by-passing the steps) if it only had a little snow.  Clearly we won't be running this in 2 feet of snow or anything like that, but it might be worth keeping an eye on things over the winter since it's easy to get to and short enough to make a good snow run.

I didn't really take any pictures and only a few short clips of video on the steps but here's what I've got.  Maybe somebody else did better...I've gotten pretty bad about taking pics lately.

https://goo.gl/photos/PB3AbJUS6aKWxrms6

I did find my phone apparently WANTED to take pictures.  I had about 65 pocket photos I had to delete.  I guess that explains why the phone was warm when I pulled it out!

I was lucky to be in the middle. Having more experienced drivers and trucks in front and behind me gave me the confidence to give the steps a try. There's a looooong video of me making it look more complicated than it probably is in the gallery Tom started: 

http://norcalrovers.smugmug.com/Trip-Photos/Signal-Peak-2016/

Chad took a slightly wider and probably better line and more or less walked right up it. Lockers disengaged I believe?

I really enjoyed this trail.

Yes, I think Chad's line was probably the better option.  It's what I was thinking of doing myself before I just turned left and went up the easy way.  He did most of it w/o lockers but did engage them for one spot so he wouldn't spin and drift close to the edge.

I wish the trail were longer but it's a fun half day outing.  I think this is the third time I've done it but the first time this year.  I did however stick to my typical pattern of having to do something foolish before getting my mindset 'right'.  I should have gone through that first obstacle w/o a problem but I didn't have my head fully in the game yet and I promptly took a bad line, hooking my bumper on that boulder on the left.  I seem to do that on ever trail run; it's like I have to have something smack me to wake me up and realize I need to pay attention.

I do like Jason's idea about getting together at his buddy's cabin (just a bit west of here) and doing a weekend.  If we hurry we might still get that in this year.

The last part where I engaged lockers definitely could've been done without them with a little bumping and probably a bit better line-picking on my part. At that point we were getting lazy and figured "why not?".

Great trail run.

Also, small PSA: change your air filter after going through a mud bog..... Stoopid oversight on my part.

Sent from my Google Pixel using Tapatalk

I had great fun this year.

After everybody split up, I went back in to Truckee to pick my son up.

While we were heading back down the 80, towards the City, he asked about the trail.

We decided to go at it again and drove all the way up to the point where Don and I both bumped our bumpers on a rock.

We ran into the Jeep guys on our way out.

I think that I enjoyed going through the mud bog the best.

I would be up for another run at it before we get hit with too much snow.

I dropped my tire off at the shop this morning, and I'll have a new one by tomorrow.

I haven't started pulling on the dented bumper yet.

I had great fun this year.

After everybody split up, I went back in to Truckee to pick my son up.

While we were heading back down the 80, towards the City, he asked about the trail.

We decided to go at it again and drove all the way up to the point where Don and I both bumped our bumpers on a rock.

We ran into the Jeep guys on our way out.

Right there folks...  A little Father/Son impromptu bonding time on the trail. 21mos to 21 years old - spending time with your family is great...on the trail is even better!!

Cheers Nils!

I added a picture t the smug mug link Tom posted. No comments or names. I'm just going to leave it there and let y'all draw hit own conclusions.

Think of it this way:  the filter gave it's life for the motor.  If it hadn't been there imagine how much mud he'd have ingested!

I actually thought the pic was going to be a Duratrac.  ;)

I'd really like to do this trail again. Maybe check out the beginnings of Fordyce then head up Signal Peak in the dark and find a place to camp on the way up or back down.

I'm not sure but something along those lines sounds nice.

There are many places to explore around there...did you see the off shoots on the way down? There are apparently mines to find on there too. I'd be interested..

I think the plan should be to hook up with Fuller regarding staying at his buddy's cabin just west of there.  We're into the winter season already but we could still make it happen this year.  I'll look at my schedule and see what we can put together.

There are many places to explore around there...did you see the off shoots on the way down? There are apparently mines to find on there too. I'd be interested..

Mines are always awesome. One of my favs. 

I think the plan should be to hook up with Fuller regarding staying at his buddy's cabin just west of there.  We're into the winter season already but we could still make it happen this year.  I'll look at my schedule and see what we can put together.

Could make a fun snow trip mid-December. Go screw around in the snow, then head back to the cabin and get warm. 

I'll talk with Jason to see how things look.  I think the club may have a big trip in the works for December, so it would likely have to be next month (November) which would be good to avoid the bulk of the snow, or possibly January, though that starts to put us close to Shaver.

Archived