September 16-18: Eastern Sierra Mines & Ghost Towns

Hey Lauro;

Welcome to the club!  

Another thing to mention now that you're a member -- if you haven't found it already, this is a good thread to bump with a rundown of your truck:

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1379-nclr-members-introduce-yourself-here/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SATURDAY ITINERARY

I've updated the thread to contain the Saturday, off-road portion of the trip.  Some other details:

• We will be refueling in Bridgeport at the Shell gas station before we head out.

• You should have your gear packed and be ready to roll out at 9AM.  Our club doesn't leave people behind, so don't be the guy/gal holding us all up.  B)

• Re-familiarize yourself with rules of being in an off-road caravan:

• Maintain space between you and surrounding trucks
  • Keep visual contact with the truck behind you
  • If making a blind turn, wait until the vehicle behind you sees your maneuver
  • If breaking from the caravan/group, radio out and let others know, especially the trail leader.

Big Bend Campground

Our Saturday night campground is Big Bend.  It is a group campground site, so we should be able to hang out around a fire together.  The cost of the group site was $108, so it should come out to about $15-16 p/p but is reserved and pre-paid.

Big Bend has vault toilets, a fire pit, picnic tables, paved campsite back-ins, and potable water.

540x360-1.jpg 540x360-2.jpg 540x360.jpg

Looking forward to heading out this coming Friday!  As always, if you have additional questions, post them here or PM me.

bodie_sat2.png

Man, this is turning out nicely. Thanks for stepping in Jared.

Everyone else, if you're on the fence - DO IT.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Make you a deal - you come and I'll give you a piece of chicken coup flooring. How can you pass up an offer like that?

Make you a deal - you come and I'll give you a piece of chicken coup flooring. How can you pass up an offer like that?

LOL!

I've got meetings I can't miss on Friday, and a flight out of Oakland first thing Sunday morning, but I have actually been considering coming up for a day trip on Saturday....

Most likely won't be able to, but I've been thinking about it....

Hey Lauro;

Welcome to the club!  This will be a good trip for your first time with us.  If you're planning on meeting up on Friday night, we'll consider that as we set up camp so we can reserve another spot if necessary.

Honeymoon Flat CG is pretty easy to get to from Hwy 395 / Twin Lakes, so it shouldn't be an issue getting to camp unless you leave really late.  Do you have an amateur radio license + radio?  If so we can monitor 146.460MHz as you're coming in.

Thank you. I don't have a ham radio. Im doing a little research on obtaining the license maybe I can get one fast before the trip. I do have a regular CB radio but haven't installed it. But I do plan on meeting up Friday night. Leaving Fairfield around 5-5:30pm, we have to work :(

I was thinking we can leave bread crumbs to the campsite, but then we'd get Lauro and maybe bear cubs in tow. 

So, probably better to look for drops of automotive fluid on the road... someone's LR has to be leaking something.

And if you come across 75w90, that's probably from my transfer case. :D

Haha lets just hope I'm not doing circles because then I won't know whose dripped liquids I'm following.

Does some one need to know a head count? Or is there a limit? I ask because it's me and my girlfriend and my aunt and uncle want to come too since I had promised them I take them camping this coming weekend. Since there was a change in events and we joined the club I'd hate to ditched them.

Haha lets just hope I'm not doing circles because then I won't know whose dripped liquids I'm following.

Does some one need to know a head count? Or is there a limit? I ask because it's me and my girlfriend and my aunt and uncle want to come too since I had promised them I take them camping this coming weekend. Since there was a change in events and we joined the club I'd hate to ditched them.

All good - bring 'em.  Maybe they'll get the bug and start Rover shopping too.  :)

Thank you. I don't have a ham radio. Im doing a little research on obtaining the license maybe I can get one fast before the trip. I do have a regular CB radio but haven't installed it. But I do plan on meeting up Friday night. Leaving Fairfield around 5-5:30pm, we have to work :(

Just saw this post. I would highly recommend you purchase a Baofeng radio on Amazon. It's dirt cheap and a great entry into the world of Ham, and if you decide to get a proper mobile rig it will still be useful. Anyway, as long as you are on simplex club frequency only, and not using repeaters, you should be ok for this first trip. Just do try to get your license soon. 

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1473804360&sr=1-1&keywords=baofeng

Just saw this post. I would highly recommend you purchase a Baofeng radio on Amazon. It's dirt cheap and a great entry into the world of Ham, and if you decide to get a proper mobile rig it will still be useful. Anyway, as long as you are on simplex club frequency only, and not using repeaters, you should be ok for this first trip. Just do try to get your license soon.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1473804360&sr=1-1&keywords=baofeng

I thought about that. But might be a little to late to get them in time for the weekend.

Here is a pic of couple dozen chicken wings marinating in hot sauce for last 24hrs; and still have 3 days to soak. :D 

I'll put these in freezer tomorrow and let it thaw from Friday to Saturday night in a cooler, in time for Saturday night grilling. 

Can we stop for firewood along the way? Or, does someone have bag of charcoal at home they can bring? 

If not, I can pick up some charcoal as well. 

Also, I plan to bring a 2 burner camping stove for cooking breakfast.

BTW, just checked weather... high 70's during the day and low 30's at night.

So, bring warm gear. :) 

post-999-0-67047200-1473822633_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of couple dozen chicken wings marinating in hot sauce for last 24hrs; and still have 3 days to soak. :D

I'll put these in freezer tomorrow and let it thaw from Friday to Saturday night in a cooler, in time for Saturday night grilling. 

Can we stop for firewood along the way? Or, does someone have bag of charcoal at home they can bring? 

If not, I can pick up some charcoal as well. 

Hey Chris;

We can either make a stop in Bridgeport, or if we get in as early as I expect tomorrow, we can probably set up camp and then drive back to Bridgeport, which should only be 15 min. away maximum.

If the first campground is hosted, they will probably also have firewood on hand -- either way, we will burninate things.

Thanks to Jared & Don for keeping everyone together on this trip. It was a lot of fun and glad to see the minor issues were quickly resolved.

Here is the line up at Chemung Mine site on google maps: 

https://goo.gl/maps/719FZo6RrB42

And I've attached a few here... And I'll post link to rest of the pix in album later. 

post-999-0-81907900-1474244138_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-75154000-1474244160_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-88141500-1474244170_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-75534400-1474244188_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-97153900-1474244205_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-22529900-1474244234_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-71295700-1474244245_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-60660300-1474244258_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-10914100-1474244275_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-80140500-1474244477_thumb.jpg

Archived