What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

So dawned on me I have worthless buttons since the air suspension is gone.

Then I looked and said, I think the switches for the lockers might fit there!!

fe547d26671a034ab882c0dfcc867208.jpg

Turns out they do! Just requires some minor modifications to make the opening longer, so on my way to finishing this up...then I'll get the fun of rerouting the wires into the dash.

But will prevent the switches from bouncing and it's difficult to get to them behind the transfer case selector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out they do! Just requires some minor modifications to make the opening longer, so on my way to finishing this up...then I'll get the fun of rerouting the wires into the dash.

But will prevent the switches from bouncing and it's difficult to get to them behind the transfer case selector.

Should have came that way from the factory!

Last night put the finishing touches on the upgraded wiring for the new alternator. 

Swapped out the stock 80amp alternator with a 120amp Bosch alternator found on many 90s Volkswagens. Why?

• Can't find the stock alternator on local chain part store shelves, but the Bosch one can be found
  • The new alternator cost the same as stock and puts out more
  • Only a connector change needed to modify the harness
  • Small spacer needed, no bracket modifications

TJdpJ3CVLqLDfMtizV2KDvYQ1VSLivWwkDOzwdrj

Routed a rear axle breather line into the cabin to replace the one that didn't exist...  :P

• 1 month later...

Well didn't happen today but a lot has in last few days.

Snowflake is back on the road with no damage other than none of the windows now work. Granted I only had 2 out 4 working before we went swimming.

1. Replaced the starter with an updated one from Classic Car Performance

2. Replaced every gosh darned battery cable (the new starter was clocked and the old cables were too short)

3. Dumped water filled oil and refreshed with new.

4. Scrubbed out intake

5. Bumped the starter and pumped out any of the fluids left out

6. Soaked cylinders for a few days in mystery oil

7. Bumped starter again

8. Checked spark and confirmed fuel presence

9. Cris cleaned the MAF :)
  10. After pumping the over-exaggerated equivalent of an Olympic swimming pool's worth of caramel macchiato out the tail pipe the engine started to cough and sputter and eventually keep running.

11. Replaced oil in the transmission

12. Got tacos 

13. Replaced oil in the transfer case.

fe547d26671a034ab882c0dfcc867208.jpg

Finally finished this project and realized I didn't share the outcome...it was way more complicated than I thought it should be, but it works!

bf4938dafb0c414b6f26439089f3c2e4.jpg

Finally finished this project and realized I didn't share the outcome...it was way more complicated than I thought it should be, but it works!

bf4938dafb0c414b6f26439089f3c2e4.jpg

Greg,

I looked at the picture and thought, "he fitted cup-holders, how is that hard?".  Then I realized you meant pulling the parking brake ....

Graeme

Wait...

What about that little guy right there?

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/greg_95.jpg

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/supertroopers.gif

Wait...

What about that little guy right there?

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/greg_95.jpg

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/supertroopers.gif

That's awesome!!

Those were screws that I have no idea about. We're in the door then into center console, threw in cup holders as I removing pieces and then waiting there to go back in center console...

Extra bolts are great!

Spent a couple hours after the meeting of the members breaking down the front end. 

Overall it went pretty smoothly and fast. Slowest part was labeling and bundling the crusty electrical lines....

IMG_20190413_194327.jpg

Once complete, I spent time pondering...

IMG_20190413_194406.jpg

IMG_20190413_195019.jpg

To dually, or not to dually  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Since my truck is incapacitated with radiator out and no rear diff, I had to work on small, non-trip critical things.

So, this weekend I took out the defenders sliding windows to replace the 22 year old felt with refreshed rubber window slide channels.

This eliminates window rattles.

While I had the windows out, I took the opportunity to tint the windows also. A local tint shop wanted 850 to tint windows on the truck.

So, I decided giving it a try myself by buying tint online, and watched a bunch of YT videos.

The outcome was pretty good. I certainly wouldn’t pay someone me to tint my car... occasional specks of dust and edges aren’t perfect. But good learning effort. I still have front 2 windows to do... may give that a go in next wkend or so.

The most painful part was probably the 24 pop rivers I had to do per side. My arm is still sore from that. 🤣

post-999-0-83256200-1555964627_thumb.jpeg

post-999-0-37334800-1555964646_thumb.jpeg

post-999-0-11689000-1555964661_thumb.jpeg

post-999-0-95587100-1555964682_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Finished shining up the sedimenter.

IMG_20190520_195432.jpg

What's that?

It's going to get covered in grime and road crap you say?

I just wasted 2 hours of my life you say?

It's too shiny????

STOP RAINING ON MY PARADE!!!!  :P

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to link up with Don and we made quick work of installing my radio.

I really like how clean it all came together, just need to paint it and it will be done.

Still need to find time to build the tire carrier for the bumper but that will have to wait until later this summer.

73687f48d9740758612588400b8eb185.jpg

df40b6e69257a165cfa254e12bcbebdd.jpgefe4a5a8efaebf7e9a556af449b6391e.jpg76d8e0a47c67a1cf7c8ae0ce78407108.jpg

I've been slowly pecking away at a number of updates for the D1

rebuilt rear driveshaft w/new slider and rear u-joint

installed new bluetooth Rugged Radios intercom

new dual fans and 3-core radiator

replaced rear a-frame with Adrenalin 4x4 custom tubular unit

touched up paint on armor

new front brakes

new custom tie-rod and heims

probably a few other things I can't remember right off.... getting her ready for #rovicon2019!

Of course today I drove it up to do alignment and found the brass radiator fill plug is leaking.  Boooooooo.....hopefully just need a new O-ring.

I've been slowly pecking away at a number of updates for the D1

rebuilt rear driveshaft w/new slider and rear u-joint

installed new bluetooth Rugged Radios intercom

new dual fans and 3-core radiator

replaced rear a-frame with Adrenalin 4x4 custom tubular unit

touched up paint on armor

new front brakes

new custom tie-rod and heims

probably a few other things I can't remember right off.... getting her ready for #rovicon2019!

Of course today I drove it up to do alignment and found the brass radiator fill plug is leaking.  Boooooooo.....hopefully just need a new O-ring.

Seems you've been busy  :P

Over the weekend:

110:

• Installed old 1.6 transfer case to align the drive-train to start working on packaging (1.4 t-case needs rebuilt yet)
  • Fabricated some new rear fuel tank mounts to gain enough length to bolt the tank + skid plate in
  • Installed tank, new fuel sender, and skid plate
  • Installed sedimenter, in-line fuel pump, and ran 50% of the fuel line.
  • Stared at it longingly from the kitchen window sipping tea wondering when I'll be done and can drive it...

Then last night pulled the CV joints off of Snowflake to get rid of the nice "CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK" when going around corners. Thought it was the left one... but the right is just downright crunchy. 

Shipped off to Bill at Great Basin Rovers this morning for a rebuild. Next trip begins July 4th... GO BILL GO!!!

IMG_20190617_190300.jpg

Over the weekend:

110:

• Installed old 1.6 transfer case to align the drive-train to start working on packaging (1.4 t-case needs rebuilt yet)
  • Fabricated some new rear fuel tank mounts to gain enough length to bolt the tank + skid plate in
  • Installed tank, new fuel sender, and skid plate
  • Installed sedimenter, in-line fuel pump, and ran 50% of the fuel line.
  • Stared at it longingly from the kitchen window sipping tea wondering when I'll be done and can drive it...

Then last night pulled the CV joints off of Snowflake to get rid of the nice "CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK" when going around corners. Thought it was the left one... but the right is just downright crunchy. 

Shipped off to Bill at Great Basin Rovers this morning for a rebuild. Next trip begins July 4th... GO BILL GO!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_20190617_190300.jpg

Wait - I thought you were coming to Rovicon??

Wait - I thought you were coming to Rovicon??

Sadly no, family is in town during the entire Rovicon event... I shall take my failings and use them as motivation to prepare for September.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not today, but post-Rovicon I've got plenty of work to do.

Right now she's on the lift with all the half shafts out.  Going to peg both diffs, replace the front R&P with a new GBR 4.14, putting in new 300M Ashcroft rear axles, and rebuilding or replacing the front Longfields with RCVs.  Also found a lot of spline wear on the front shafts so going to look at having a set of those made when people get back to work Monday.

And I'll have another go at installing the X-brake as I now have their cable on-hand.