What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

AdvRovr

Been commiting some time to the RRC this weekend and it's back on four tires.

Hubs are all assembled with missing seals plus replaced swivel seals.

I need to add liquids and tighten a few bolt.

Now I can finish the transfer case swap as I need to finishing connecting the linkage and then adjust the center console.

Shooting for a drive father's day weekend!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180611/9df148e91e6a4cb8e2cac0e8c311c818.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick Rock Shake-down!

Slick Rock Shake-down!

Might need to get your assistance with wiring the rear locker switch...

I stared at mine sitting in my parking spot as I left the house today with my wife on the way to the train station to take the Metro to work. Head gasket let go at the train station on Friday and started pissing coolant. On the bright side it's an external head gasket leak so no oil milkshake to deal with.. Small victories??  :blink:

More progress, shift linkage installed. Center console is cut larger for the shifter.

Couple punch items left and hopefully the TC shifts into gear well...🤞

Been finishing up a few little things but she's ready for a test ride tonight!!

Today I finished getting the console back together. Parking brake is pita! New rear locker switch came so made some adjustments to get that in.

There are still things to do to be trail ready, like to put on new tie rod ends, install new diff breather and finally run air lines for lockers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180614/a9d31ab32a1625a0ebb9aedb317fb5a4.heic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180614/c54c79001a13a0df6a6304367c4ea146.heic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180614/a7a5c123ec2c6ed8b20966777bbc282f.heic

So eventual weekend! Don made a rescue trip North and we went to help #meangreen the 88 RRC Vogue that is going through a #SOJ transformation. New 5" lift from rte, hd drive shafts from Roverware and hd axles with a Detroit in the rear and true track in the back.

Before that we did an alternator and battery swap on my RRC plus sorted out the wiring for the lockers.

Did end up determining I have a ground issue somewhere...so next thing to sort and hopefully by Sunday's hell hole run!!

I was really stoked to see that so far the project I took on is performing as planned!

Rebuilding the front and rear plus a transfer case swap! Whoooh... still more to sort out like windows that don't go up and seats that don't move. Sigh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Whoa am I only one doing things to for my rover these days???

July was sooo 3 months ago  :D

Anyway, this past weekend with a raging fever I decided to clear out space so that the 110 could get it's prime spot back. Roxy was getting jealous of Daryl the Donor Benz.

IMG_20180902_185955.jpg

(que the song of the sawzall)

IMG_20180927_140511.jpg

IMG_20180927_161243.jpg

IMG_20180928_143756.jpg

Good bye forever!!!

IMG_20180929_082328.jpg

I dropped the transmission a couple weeks back with Don heckling me as I splashed atf in my face .

Seems like you have been even busier!!

Well, yesterday I straightened the wheel I bent on my night Rubicon rescue mission and got the pressure washer after the bottom of the truck in preparation for giving everything a good inspection the next time I get home for more than a day.

Hrrmm.. Yesterday I pulled the drivers side head to see exactly where it was pissing coolant from. Gasket between the water jacket and the outside of the head failed externally (thankfully). Got the head 90% cleaned up tonight, just gotta scrub a little carbon off the valve dish. Going to change the drivers side engine mount while I have the head off since it's no small task to replace insitu, especially when using the bigger jag mounts. That's on tomorrows to do list, as well as vacuum out all the crud and get ready to put it all back together. Should hopefully have it moving under its own power by the end of the week. My slack-ation is over - head gasket let go about 4 months ago. 

Hrrmm.. Yesterday I pulled the drivers side head to see exactly where it was pissing coolant from. Gasket between the water jacket and the outside of the head failed externally (thankfully). Got the head 90% cleaned up tonight, just gotta scrub a little carbon off the valve dish. Going to change the drivers side engine mount while I have the head off since it's no small task to replace insitu, especially when using the bigger jag mounts. That's on tomorrows to do list, as well as vacuum out all the crud and get ready to put it all back together. Should hopefully have it moving under its own power by the end of the week. My slack-ation is over - head gasket let go about 4 months ago. 

So what I'm hearing is you'll be at next year's Shaver run, right?

It lives! Wrapped everything up around 3:15 am, and cycled the fuel pump a few times to make sure everything was kosher. Good thing I did as I had forgotten to tighten down the feed to the fuel rail. Snugged it up, washed the gas away and triple checked that everything was connected and no stray rags or tools were left in the engine bay. Fired on the second try. Drove a small loop and then went to the gas station and filled up the tank. While the tank was filling I washed 4 months of grime off the windows. Drove home, and got a couple of hours of sleep. Woke up, put all the tools away i had tossed in the back when I was done, dropped off the boy at school and then went to the quarter car wash and hosed down the under carriage and the rest of the truck to get rid of the aforementioned 4 months of accumulated dirt off the rest of the panels. Drove to work just fine, coolant temps never strayed over 185. I'm gonna pop the hood at lunch and check for leaks and make sure the coolant level is kosher.

44295259385_bcb6098de7.jpg

Truck seemed to run well enough, considering it had just had open heart surgery... On the drive to the office it seemed to have a bit of a miss. Went out at lunch to give everything a once over since I had wrapped everything up at 3-4 AM that day. Checked the coolant, it was down a little but that's to be expected as any excess air works it's way out of the system. I start it up and let it come up to temp and I hear a sort of intermittent clicky sound. Start looking in the direction of the sound and I see one of the plug leads on the coil arcing between it and the bracket. Hrmm.. Shut it down and re-seat all the connectors on the coil pack. Start it back up and a min or two later it starts arcing again. This time I take note of which wire was arcing and trace it back to cyl #5. Pull the plug wire to check and re-seat, and the metal end that clips onto the spark plug is left behind.. Dam... Pull the wire from the boot, trim back about an inch and then re-strip the core exposing the conductor. Get the remnants of the wire out of the clip, open the crimp up and then re-crimp the wire. Boot back on, and back in action. Glad I had the presence of mind to throw my tools in the back of the truck before I left for work. During this whole plug wire fiasco I realize that I had a few of the connections on the coil swapped. That's what happens when you're buttoning up things at 3 AM.. And just as a "fu, thanks for letting me sit for 4 months" present the truck decided it didn't want to let go of the key. After much cursing and wiggling and shimmying I managed to get the key out. Got home yesterday evening and lubed the cylinder with copious amounts of powdered graphite left over from building pinewood derby cars. A few min of working the graphite in and the cylinder was operating smoother than ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't so much do stuff to my Rover as help Antonio do stuff to his.

Changed front and rear diff and transfer case oil

Replaced front rotors and pads

Replaced front lower control arms.

While under the truck we found a couple other items to address.  Namely the front diff breather doesn't seem to be breathing (it shot oil out all over me when I pulled the plug!) and the front CV on the rear driveshaft appears to be leaking.  Neither should be too hard to address.

We also looked a bit at an odd intermittent suspension error but didn't come to any conclusions.   He sometimes gets a warning that only standard height is allowed but there are no suspension codes when it happens so I'm not sure where to look.  Compressor seems to be working fine as does the rest of the suspension.  I suspect there must be something other than a suspension issue causing this but it's going to be difficult to pin down without a better starting point.  

20181020_101600-M.jpg

20181020_104702-M.jpg

20181020_104705-M.jpg

I also managed to destroy a new SK 'made in the USA' 4mm hex bit ... have to say I'm a little disappointed in that one.  Sure it's warranty but you have to send the part back to them then wait for a return.  Everybody has lifetime warranty these days but the reason you pay more for a quality tool is so you don't have to use it!  Otherwise I could just stop by harbor freight and swap it today.   :(

20181021_114923-M.jpg

Edited by DHappel

Spent the weekend prepping the OM617 for enamel!

Behold the Paintbooth 5000!!

Can't tell if the fan is to get fumes out or keep them in... hmm  :blink: It is the Paintbooth 5000 after all...

20181021_114923-M.jpg

Which impact wrench did you put that on.  Break out the old 3/4" and step it down to 3/8".  Looks like some of my rear axle shafts.  

Come to think of it, it looks like some of MY old axle shafts too!

And it was just a standard 3/8 long handle ratchet.  Was just using the bit to hold a ball joint while I ran down the nut.

Edited by DHappel

• 2 weeks later...