NCLR approved for South Cow Mountain trail maintenance activities

South Cow Cleanup/Maintenance MORG  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What weekend should we do trail maintenance?

• November 7th-8th
    • November 13-14th
    • December 5th-6th
  2. 2. Will you likely be camping?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other/Not sure

All;

A few months ago we engaged the BLM to ask if any help was needed in brush/overgrowth clearing, general trail pickup, trash, etc. -- the response was a resounding "absolutely."

We turned in the paperwork so we can legally work for the government for free and got a response that it was received/approved. Now it comes down to picking a date, which I put up a voting poll.

As SCM gets pretty warm during the summer, I figured now is a good time to vote for an autumn cleanup. Additionally, I'd like to do an overnighter, where NCLR folks that decide to attend can work day 1, day 2 or stay overnight and do the entire weekend. This leaves flexibility for people who want to donate their time but can't commit for the entire thing.

Below are proposed dates. If you know of a hard conflict to any of these, just post a comment and it will be checked.

• 7-8 Nov
• 13-14 Nov
• 5-6 Dec

SCMR 01.jpg

I'm pretty open that far out at this point so I can't say I have a preference.  I'll check with Michele this weekend if I remember and see if she has any conflicts.  I could see camping.

I voted for the 6th/7th. The other two proposed weekends would be tough for me since they conflict with the Dickens Fair (for which I'm obligated) and this it something I'd like to be involved with, since it's in my own backyard. I could go either way on the camping, I only live 15 minutes away from the Scotts Creek Staging Area.

One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of inclement weather...the later in the season it is, the more chance of getting rained out. And the whole place shuts down to preserve the trails if it rains hard enough.

Then I vote for 6/7. Dan needs to be there. more in that later...

I don't know that I need to be there, I'd just like to. Don't let my preferences be the determining factor for choosing the date, it needs to be what works for the greatest number of people.

I don't know that I need to be there, I'd just like to. Don't let my preferences be the determining factor for choosing the date, it needs to be what works for the greatest number of people.

Dan,

The after-party is at your place, so you NEED to be there (or just leave the keys!).

Graeme

Oh, okay. I thought we were talking about this thread, since there's a poll at the top and I think Jared was referring to correcting the dates on that when the poll reset itself.

I still vote for Tri-tip!

• 2 weeks later...

OK!

Just got a response back from our contact at BLM/South Cow Mountain -- we're scheduled for November 7th & 8th and we can change the dates if something doesn't work out.

Currently, the plan is to accomplish overgrowth clearing and trail cleanup (map of areas with greatest need is being put together for us) -- additionally, there are a couple of wooden structures that need a fresh coat of paint.

If attending, you are highly encouraged to bring the following at a minimum:

• Eye protection

• Ear protection

• Hand/Foot protection

• Water (a lot)

• Sunscreen/sunblock

We've been asked to reach out to BLM about mid-October to coordinate additional details, so I will follow up at that point.

***LASTLY***: The BLM will be carrying a meeting to discuss future land management plans at South Cow Mountain near the end of September.  I'm going to post it on the NCLR Calendar with the details, but below is a link to the BLM page discussing the meeting, should you be interested in attending:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/2015/august/cowmtnmeetings.html

• 1 month later...

Archived