Carnegie Needs Our Support Tonight

City Council meets tonight May 18th in Livermore to decide whether to support or reject the expansion of Carnegie (OHVR), This expansion would allow for more vehicular trails rather than mostly motorcycles, therefore, another playground for us.

It is REALLY important to show up if you are a Livermore resident and let the coucil members know that you reside and vote in Livermore.

I'll be there at 7 PM and will bring the family too.

Meeting is at 7:00 PM, 3575 Pacific Ave.

Hope to see you there!

Enrique

How did the meeting go Enrique?

I read in the original draft plans the following:

2.7.5 FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES

As described previously, most visitors come to Carnegie SVRA to ride off-highway motorcycles; however, there have been longstanding

desires for an SVRA that would serve users of other OHV types. State Parks has tried to accommodate 4WD recreation with development

of the 4x4 challenge area. Most of the original Carnegie SVRA is too steep for 4WD vehicles and ATVs. The expansion area provides

an opportunity to provide recreation opportunities for users of other types of OHVs like 4WD vehicles...

The expansion area also provides an opportunity for State Parks to educate visitors about the natural and cultural resources.

As I am reading this, most go to Carnegie SVRA to ride off-hwy motorcycles because that's what place is setup for and allows

on its trails; And yes, I would visit the park if an expansion accommodates 4WD vehicles. Be a great place for SF Bay Area residents

to be less than 1 hr to OHV 4WD recreational area, and perhaps venue for vendors e.g. ARB and local clubs e.g. NCLR, and dealerships e.g. Land Rover in

Livermore to sponsor 4WD driving skills courses and education on tread lightly yet enjoying the outdoors... We have Hollister (thank

goodness) but it's 2 1/2 hours away for folks like myself who lives in Contra Costa/Alameda County.

Unhappy to report that the city of Livermore voted 3-2 against the expansion for the park.  It was pointless (almost) to even attend as two may be even three of the council members had already made their mind up on which way they were going to vote months in advance (according to another city council member, who called the whole thing (public hearing) a sham). 

There was a large number of people in support of the expansion and many representatives of various Off-Road organizations such as Corva, Blue Ribbon Coalition, AMA and others. I requested to speak and was on the cue but the meeting was dragging on and on and I had a meeting at 9pm with a prospective client. Got the final report from another friend that attended.

So, as of right now I'm not sure where it stands and if the State will push with the expansion regardless of the city of Livermore.

It is still important for us to write to our State senator and/or other representatives to let them know we support the expansion of Tesla Park in Livermore.

Here's an address:

California State Parks

Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division

â„… AECOM; attn. Carnegie General Plan

2020 L Street, Suite 400

Sacramento, CA 95811

also, Visit CORVA california off road vehicle association   www.corva.org 

That's terrible news. Did you happen to see Sherry Stortroen? I would expect her to have been there since she's been involved with this fight for decades. I'll ping her and see what the other options are. Thanks for the update Enrique.

That is a bummer. Its not often things like that can expand. Hopefully they can override the city.

The city doesn't actually have jurisdiction over the project as it's outside city limits. However, it's within their sphere of influence so their official position on the plan carries some weight as an indication of stakeholder support of the EIR and GP. But just the city council cannot stop the project on their own. Ultimately, it's the state that makes the decision to proceed or not.

That said, more support is always better and it's a shame to see it went this direction.

From what I understand, the project is 2 miles outside their sphere of influence, so the whole participation is a sham.

Much less that Mayor Marchand is not really looking at the opportunities that could be leveraged in the off road/exploration community business growth.

Really? I had been told that Livermore defined it's SOI all the way out to the county line to encompass the wineries and farms in planning. If that's incorrect, then I can't imagine why they're getting involved. 

Really? I had been told that Livermore defined it's SOI all the way out to the county line to encompass the wineries and farms in planning. If that's incorrect, then I can't imagine why they're getting involved. 

http://www.acgov.org/lafco/documents/soi_Livermore.pdf

Livermore has a smaller SOI

http://www.co.alameda.ca.us/lafco/documents/finalmsr2013/larpd-Reso.pdf

LARPD has a much larger one.

From what I understand of the meeting, one of the council members called it a waste of time as the city is a by standard.

From what I understand, the project is 2 miles outside their sphere of influence, so the whole participation is a sham.

Much less that Mayor Marchand is not really looking at the opportunities that could be leveraged in the off road/exploration community business growth.

Bingo!

All recreation users that purchase gas in the State of California "PAID" for the vast majority of Tesla Park. Because Tesla Park is

public state park land, it is important that "WE" ask “What is the Best Public Use for this park land?â€

Bingo!

All recreation users that purchase gas in the State of California "PAID" for the vast majority of Tesla Park. Because Tesla Park is

public state park land, it is important that "WE" ask “What is the Best Public Use for this park land?â€

Ron et al,

And before we fall into the Tree-Huggers' trap .... there is no Tesla Park.  At no time, ever, as far as I have been told and have researched, has this land been a park, but by calling it "Tesla Park" it makes it look like the a tranquil park is being taken over by a load of noisy vehicles .....

We need to remember that Tesla was a commercial mining town, clay and sand were extracted for several decades.  Coal was actively extracted and the use of it was encouraged.  It is industrial land polluted and desecrated over the decades!

The Tesla land was purchased in the late '90s specifically to expand Carnegie SVRA.  The money used was part of the budget for OHVs.  There has never been, and if we campaign correctly, never will be a Tesla Park.

Try not to use the word "park" as that is what is holding this up.  "Save Tesla Park" sounds good, unless you know the history.  Trying to "save" something that doesn't exist.

Regards,

Graeme

Ron et al,

And before we fall into the Tree-Huggers' trap .... there is no Tesla Park.  At no time, ever, as far as I have been told and have researched, has this land been a park, but by calling it "Tesla Park" it makes it look like the a tranquil park is being taken over by a load of noisy vehicles .....

We need to remember that Tesla was a commercial mining town, clay and sand were extracted for several decades.  Coal was actively extracted and the use of it was encouraged.  It is industrial land polluted and desecrated over the decades!

The Tesla land was purchased in the late '90s specifically to expand Carnegie SVRA.  The money used was part of the budget for OHVs.  There has never been, and if we campaign correctly, never will be a Tesla Park.

Try not to use the word "park" as that is what is holding this up.  "Save Tesla Park" sounds good, unless you know the history.  Trying to "save" something that doesn't exist.

Regards,

Graeme

Good points all around.

I associated it with State "Park"; I think Tesla Land would be more appropriate; good point Graeme.

Whatever it's called, if anyone wants to get involved, Here's another opp:

What: The Carnegie SVRA Preliminary General Plan and Environmental Impact Report for the Tesla Expansion has

been released for public comment. Comments are now due June 29th.

WHERE: CORVA is holding a Comments Project workshop on May 31st, at the La Quinta Inn Livermore. It will be an

event, and everyone will leave the day with at least an outline written, if not their comments finished!. This

will be the opportunity for all the passion people have for Carnegie, and their stories about Carnegie, to be

presented in a very meaningful manner.

See attached flyer.

Carnegie Comments Workshop.pdf

Got this email last night.

California Off Road Vehicle Association is sponsoring a workshop to teach our Carnegie Expansion stakeholders how to write the kinds of comments needed to facilitate the much needed expansion. CORVA is good at this. We have trained many " Friends Of"  groups and have made the difference is success or failure in the retention of our riding places.

Carnegie SVRA will more than double in size and opportunities, for off highway motorized recreation with this expansion. Today's park is "epic" for expert riders. The new park will offer the same world class opportunities for side x sides, 4x4s, sand rails and less experience riders, along with more special event areas, camping, etc. It is long overdue, especially considering OHV dollars purchased the land back in the 90's.

We need you behind us.

Can you help sponsor this workshop (AND send an attendee?). At this point MotoMart at Carnegie is sponsoring the venue (La Quinta Livermore, March 31st). Wicked good snacks are providing….SNACKS, Elevated Action Sports has stepped up to provide something as well.

What we need: lunch (Costco Pizza or sandwich platters would be fine), morning coffee and doughnuts, drinks (water and lemonade maybe), pads and pencils (maybe with your product name?), raffle prizes.

Diana Mead, Team UnLimited Racing
AND President, California Off Road Vehicle Assoiciation
925-639-4581

We need you behind us.

Can you help sponsor this workshop (AND send an attendee?). At this point MotoMart at Carnegie is sponsoring the venue (La Quinta Livermore, March 31st). Wicked good snacks are providing….SNACKS, Elevated Action Sports has stepped up to provide something as well.

What we need: lunch (Costco Pizza or sandwich platters would be fine), morning coffee and doughnuts, drinks (water and lemonade maybe), pads and pencils (maybe with your product name?), raffle prizes.

Brenton,

If it isn't outside the scope of our charter (which I don't think it is) can I propose a motion that NCLR sponsor this? Can't be more than $300-400 and maybe we know a caterer that could help? (cue:Enrique)

It would be great if someone could go along and take minutes, then post here.  Unfortunately, I can't be there (I assume it is May and not March?)

To me, it is to support things like this that the club exists .... and charges a good membership fee.

Regards,

Graeme

You beat me to it Graeme! I even thought of asking Tepui if they want to get involved. 

Mexxis will contribute with part of the cost, shall the club decide to sponsor lunch.

It's the same event on the attached flyer; definitely I'd support this Brenton. And thanks Enrique for Mexxis support.

I can get our local stationary to supply standard BIC brand black/blue pens, and pads; even better if we have paper/pads

with the NCLR logo, or perhaps Redwood City LR can donate pads w/LR logo?

Email sent to Paul B. at LRRWC about supplies and possible raffle prizes. Diana got back to me last night:

Good morning Brenton!

When one rushes and one is a person of a certain age, May…March pretty much the same thing! NOT. 

May 31st is the date. We will begin at 9 am. La Quinta in Livermore. Although this will be my first workshop, and I have copied the experts, I understand we will be taking some liberties with this class to make it as attendee friendly as possible. Hence the raffle, a great lunch, a local venue a child friendly environment and a group with an objective in common, realize the expansion of Carnegie into a world class OHV park. 

The contribution of Mexxi's is HUGE and we are so excited to have you on board. 

Some stickers, for the kids pack that I just thought of, would be great and attendee's would be perfect, absolutely perfect. 

Here's what Sherry had to say about the meeting:

Brenton,  I've been fine, but busy, mostly good busy.  Thanks for asking.  How have you been?    
The Livermore City Council meeting of May 18, was blatant show of "bought for" government.  I believe your member was correct in stating that the decision was previously made.   If you are interested in hearing the entire Council meeting, go to:  citylivermore.net than go to View council meetings on TV30.   About 1 hr. 45 minutes into the meeting the Motion was made and passed 3 to 2 to oppose the expansion of Carnegie SVRA.    

How to move forward......First the city of Livermore has NO jurisdiction over the existing Carnegie or the expansion.  It would have been nice if Livermore could have supported the expansion.  

Please encourage your members to read the Draft EIR, comments due by June 29, 2015.    Part of the OHMVR Division's mission is to acquire land and enhance OHV recreation opportunities.    Comments should be nice, not angry.   I know my comments will include a remaindered that an SVRA is much more environmentally sound for nature, plant and wildlife, and whatever else I can think of.  Also, this process since the purchase of the new properties has been going on since 1996-97, and the laws and regulations haven't become any more OHV friendly.    There is NO TESLA PARK, never use this.   This is a made up name by people who want this State area for non-motorized recreation use.  NEVER.   Comments should encourage the State to move forward with the expansion, and that OHV users have waiting long enough.    Well, I have gone on long enough for now.  Thanks for asking how to get and keep involved.   Remember NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.  I'm not and I encourage you and your members also, not to give up.  If you give up, they win.   Take care.  Sincerely, Sherry

Here's what Sherry had to say about the meeting:

...... There is NO TESLA PARK, never use this.  

Brenton,

We need to keep referring to it as the "Tesla OHV Area" every time it is written about or talked about.  That way it sounds like it is being taken away, rather than the other way around.

Graeme

Archived