Official NCLR Rubicon trip Sept 12-15

So I just ordered some QT diff guards, some wheel spacers, and a skid plate for the fuel tank on the passenger side.. It is still looking good on diverting my work trip to the following weekend so fingers crossed. Unfortunately Elizabeth cannot make this one so depending on what my buddy says, there might be a seat open.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we are looking at 5 rovers? That's a good crew. My neighbor is still expressing interest bu I'm not sure how commutes he is. If he comes that would make six and maybe we run two groups. Fast and crazy fast or something like that. If anyone else is thinking of considering meeting on Friday morning you are more than welcome to start with me in loomis or even camp/crash at my place on Thursday evening. Loon lake is pretty and does make for some nice camping though.

Is anyone else into geocaching? There are a few caches along the trail. I have only had time o search for two of them but I think there are a half dozen or so.

There is also potential of Spencer coming which could make 7.. He was camping with us at White Rock

So we are looking at 5 rovers? That's a good crew. My neighbor is still expressing interest bu I'm not sure how commutes he is. If he comes that would make six and maybe we run two groups. Fast and crazy fast or something like that. If anyone else is thinking of considering meeting on Friday morning you are more than welcome to start with me in loomis or even camp/crash at my place on Thursday evening. Loon lake is pretty and does make for some nice camping though.

Is anyone else into geocaching? There are a few caches along the trail. I have only had time o search for two of them but I think there are a half dozen or so.

I plan to head up Thursday night and stay at Loon Lake. Who else is leaving Thursday and do we want to meet up somewhere on Hwy 80 or 50 before heading to the Lake? Should we get expected arrival times for people who are intending tobe there Thursday night? Looking forward to this trip!

Looks like the neighbor with the jeep might be out. I asked him tonight if he was getting the jeep ready and he kinda looked at me funny and said, " yea, about that..." He is concerned about leaving his wife alone for two nights with 6 month old twins. Guess I can understand that.

So far work is still cooperating and the truck is nearly ready pending my side tank guard coming in on time for me to install which makes me wonder, Do I really need it?! From what I have heard from a friend with a Tube Crawler and what I can read Rubicon is nearly a paved "highway" after all that has been done the last year or so.

So I want to ask my fellow club members that have Rubicon experience, Regarding obstacle's excluding the Sluice, Soup bowl (which I don't plan on attempting on my first Rubicon experience/maybe ever :o ) what else is there? Is it just steep hills with boulders? Is Cadillac hill as nasty as it looks? I been with a few friends on Dusy and Fordyce which I know are some pretty extreme trails even with 39"s

Pending the planets aligning I should have Thursday off which should put me at Loon by Noon-2PM depending on when i leave the house. Spencer is trying to get new driveshafts in time and will probably chime in on attending last min. His hours are even crazier than mine at Tesla so im speaking in his behalf ;)

I don't run a tank skid on the disco. I haven't ever had any issues. That said, mine is in the rear and I'm on a 5 inch lift and have run it on 33's and was happy for my sliders. You won't have to take any line that's harder than what you have seen on Fordyce and I haven't been out there this year but even last year it was significantly tamer than Fordyce. Cadillac hill is just long, steep in places and off camber. Yon won't need a tank skid for it. Just my $0.02

Agreed. The trickiest part of Cadillac Hill is Cadillac Rock (you'll know it when you get to it). You have to hug the hill to the left and snake your way around it. It can get pretty off camber there. A local was helping spot Rod Besa through that obstacle and he almost went over. Luckily I was on the passenger side and pushed on the roof rack until he made it through.

The climb around Buck Island is fun too.

I think this is the same event that we ran in to last time. If it is then Rubicon springs is a no go. There were lots of tucks at that springs with no room. Plus there is some push to leave a little early or on time on friday. That way we can get a campsite near buck island. Last time they came in much later like 10 am trail start.

Any thoughts?

I'm good with getting on the trail early. That spot above Cadillac makes for a nice view but no water there. We could run in reverse and camp at the springs Friday. We would hit a lot of traffic going that way though. Might not be that fun. We could also camp at buck island then go back out wentworth and avoid the springs all together. We miss big old sluce, the springs and Cadillac. Or camp above Cadillac. But if we plan to run from buck to the top of Cadillac in one day then why not do it all on Sunday and spend the day goofing around buck island on Saturday? Potential problem with this plan is that if we or any of the other 200 rigs has some issue in front of us on Sunday it could make for a very long day. And I have to point out that in my opinion buck to the top of Cadillac is longer and harder than loon to buck. So if we try to make it out on Sunday we have the longer harder half to go. And the. We are getting off the trail late in Tahoe. Makes for a long dark drive home. I dunno. What does everyone else think?

I may have misunderstood what Lutzi was saying. It's not as if you leave the springs and then are directly on Cadillac hill. There is some distance that we might be able to put between ourselves and the goings on in the springs. Maybe we just call an audible when we get there.

Does anybody need a upper panhard rod bushing for a DI? I just finished rebuilding my front end bushings and I am running a Heim joint there but the rubber busing came with the kit. Its a stock replacement from rovers north. If you want it it's yours. I'll bring it to the rubicon. maybe we can trade a beer or something.

:( I just got word that I am officially going back to Europe from the 8-19th for work. Tears are forming :(

Sean,

I know how disappointed your truck must be too ... but I can help with that ... leave me the keys and I'll make sure that it gets to take the trip ... what are friends for?!!!

Regards,

Graeme

Archived