Gauging Interest Return to Rubicon 2013

Let's see if we can get a fantastic trail on the calendar for 2013. I am Quoting from Ron's Post last year. (thanks Ron)

Had a blast 2 years ago - and like wise previous years.

Here are random comments and pictures from our 2009 NCLR Rubicon trip: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=178167

2011 trip: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=279012

Also 2 years ago, we avoided the Jeep and Jeepers Jamboree in July/August, but didn't realize Marlin Crawlers (Toyotas) were celebrating their 10th anniv same wknd we were on Rubicon Trail Sept 15-18th. As the result, it was traffic on the trail like Hwy 580 thru Livermore during commute hours (smile). Well not quite - I'll take traffic on any trail vs having to commute for work.

To avoid the crowd on the trail, we are planning a Wed to Fri trip to the Rubicon this year. Meet @ the staging area (Loon Lake side) on Tuesday afternoon, camping that night (or meet up early Wednesday morning) and hit the start of the trail Wed morning and finish by Friday (on the Tahoe side).

This trail is not for stock Land Rovers; however, with the help of experienced folks here who have been on the Rubicon and/or familiar with required mods, we welcome all club members to inquire and join this challenging yet rewarding famous Rubicon Trail - the Crown Jewel of Four Wheeling. We also need spotters (partner up w/drivers open seats).

Who wants in?

Quick Summary of the Trip:

Trail is the world famous Rubicon: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/index.html

Trail Rating: 10

Lenght: 22 miles

Trail Leader: Me RRC LWB

Looking for max qualified LR trucks 6-7.

Dates: August mid week

Agenda/Itinerary:

TBD

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):

1) Solid recovery points both front and back,

2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,

3) Sliders and Diff Guards,

4) And atleast 1 rear locker is req but having rear and front lockers will make it less harder on your vehicle. If you are running lockers, should upgrade to HD axles otherwise carry spares.

5) Upgrade rear trailing arms (D90s/D1/RRC) if applicable

6) HD front bumper (want something solid that can take a beating, and don't go bumper less and make your radiator take the beating)

7) Winch. We maybe able to do away w/non-winch bumper as long as we have equal non-winch and winch vehicle. Need recovery strap for sure.

8) CB; Ham operator a plus.

9) 1 spare fuel can w/fuel (re-fueling is avail before your turn-off to the Ice House Rd on Thursday, and re-fueling station on Lake Tahoe side on the return trip but bring one spare just in case)

Other rules:

- No drinking alcohol and driving on the trail (save it for camp/when keys put away), need to read and abide by Rubicon Trail ordances: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/50-ft-trail-easement.html

- Pack it in/pack it out (Wag Bags a must, and BYOB - bring your own bucket - he! he!)

Other Considerations:

- keep your CG as low as possible - I dont' recommend an RTT setup on the trail - tent it or tent cot.

- Will be a lot of rock stacking, hiking, altitude above 5000 ft..., physical work demanding.

- Let me know if you have any special health conditions.

We have GPS coords for the trail, more details to follow.... if any interested post or PM me; this will be a fun trip!

Ramdom pictures from 2011:

http://nclrclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3480&d=1316373560

http://nclrclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3482&d=1316373560

http://nclrclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3476&d=1316373560

http://nclrclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3479&d=1316373560

http://nclrclub.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3469&d=1316077124

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really would like to do this, but will have to look at schedules and days off. Also, would have to replace the front bumper prior to the trip. Anyone have an opinion on my SWB making the grade?

Honestly I have been interested in the Rubicon for years. Now I'm pushing to go. But I don't know if I can afford a locker just yet. But I will try.

Mike- What equipment does your SWB have?

Could the truck make it comes after I figure out IF this is the year I can go....

I have cobbled together the following......3" RTE lift, HD Rovertracks steering components, RTE front arms, relocated steering damper, front skid, lowered shock hoops, DII front d/s, welded on sliders, QT Diff guards, Rovertracks rear arms, lowered rear shock mounts, SS brake lines, LT 230, rear locker, and steel rear bumper.. Will be running two stock metal fuel tank supports if possible. 10 splines all corners turning 265/75's on steelies. Would try and source a arb or other steel front bumper to make the trip (not ruin the GDE) and maybe a "cheap winch".

The SWB is more of an overland truck maybe...

What the hell happened to the Rubicon!!??

What they've done is just beyond comprehension. Big Sluice, gone. Squeeze rock, gone. Little Sluice, gone. $1000 Hill, you can't drive that section of the trail. Was this really for water erosion control? What were the county supervisors thinking (obviously the weren't) about these changes. I also read the bridge constructed by FOTR, is going to be replaced. Is there some structural weakness that means it has to be replaced? How much is that going to cost? In this cash strapped state, they can somehow justify $16,000/HOUR helicopters to bring in filler rock and basically destroy one of the most popular trails in the entire country.

Pedram, never mind my last post. I'm going to trade in the D2 for an Outback and go run the Rubicon next weekend before they just outright close it.

B,

From reading the thread it seem that "lockers and gears" won't truly be tested until Dusy (Dusie?) It sounds like it is soo tame that my rig could make it- haha

Seriously fellow off-road enthusiasts, what is the point of the taming the Rubicon? Is there a governing body that charges a fee to use the trail? Thus making the trail easier to attract more people to collect more fees? Good lord what must traffic be like on that trail on a holiday weekend in the summer?? 4th of July?

I'm not a fan of dumbing it down as it lowers the bar for guys and gals that want to challenge themselves and their rigs while potentially cluttering the trail with the inexperienced, ill-prepared and under-equipped masses... As it is the skill level and equipment on the trail would be pretty good. Seems like lowering the barrier of entry will mean twice the people with half the skill-set and experience.

"The Rubicon" has always been so iconic in the off-road community that if you and/or your rig made it from one end of the other, that meant something. Meant you had some (or access to) skills and the intestinal fortitude to use'em, and your rig was built to a high enough standard with capabilities that could handle THAT kind of terrain. To me, sitting way out here in the bleachers, having never been on the trail (but would love to), I think this is akin to the modern day AYSO "everyone gets a trophy" mentality "Good job Billy...kick the ball again and mommy will take you to ice cream...". I prefer the NASCAR slogan of "If winning were easy, [everyone] would do it..." (Insert Alec Baldwin - Glenn Gary, Glenn Ross clip..."Steak Knives"!!! :-)

End of rant, I'm off to slap a Rubicon Tested bumper sticker on my daughter's old Barbie Jeep :-)

Tom

The trail scenery is some of the best looking in the country. And, given the fact that we aren't running 40's, there's still a lot of challenging sections on 33's & 35's. Even though it's no longer the same, I want to say I took my truck through the Rubicon. I'm glad to have experienced it twice "back in the day", even as co-pilot/spotter. In fact when we ran it in 2009, I drove Ron's RRC down $1000 Hill. You can't even drive on that section of the trail since it passes over private land.

The trail scenery is some of the best looking in the country. And, given the fact that we aren't running 40's, there's still a lot of challenging sections on 33's & 35's. Even though it's no longer the same, I want to say I took my truck through the Rubicon. I'm glad to have experienced it twice "back in the day", even as co-pilot/spotter. In fact when we ran it in 2009, I drove Ron's RRC down $1000 Hill. You can't even drive on that section of the trail since it passes over private land.

Yeah, I suppose there will be that sort of "Back when I was your age" that will rebut many stories yet to unfold and I have ZERO bragging rights or experience on that trail (or many others for that matter ;-) so to you who can say you were, or will be there, kudos! And I certainly don't fault anyone for getting out and "doing it".

But please add me to the list of folks to be your co-pilot/spotter/photographer/videographer/shotgun ;-)

You remember when your diff exploded at Hollister right? It didn't seem like a challenging section from your description. I think the Rubi will eat your open diffs for breakfast and spit out the bits through the casing, just to prove a point.

Wow....

:-)

Archived