Shaver Lake 2013?

Hey guys from down here in Sunny San Diego... we had our LRCSD Yearly Trip Planning Meeting this last week, and we went to go see when Shaver Lake might be to de-conflict it with any trips we might have planned, but I don't see any discussion going on regarding it.

Did everyone decide to not go this next year?

• 4 years later...

Digging this thread up - as a former NCLR member - I now can no longer access most of the forums.  Did the Shaver lake trip happen this year?

I'm curious as to what the snowpack is like.  I was thinking of going up there and doing some light offroading / snowshoeing...

This was posted on another forum on 2/12. I'd guess by now it's ok, but you may want to check and see first.

Dinkey Creek Road washed out between Shaver and Rock Creek road a few weeks back. It supposedly is open to locals but closed to everyone else. That is why the trail is listed as open but people say it is closed as you can't access it the typical way. You can get around the wash out area by going past Bretz Mill campground in Blue canyon and you come out where Rock Creek Road and Dinky Creek road meet. There have been people going in and out of Bald Mountain this way sense the wash out. It will add a significant amount of time to get to the tower. No idea on how much snow is up there as I haven't been yet this year.

This was posted on another forum on 2/12. I'd guess by now it's ok, but you may want to check and see first.

Dinkey Creek Road washed out between Shaver and Rock Creek road a few weeks back. It supposedly is open to locals but closed to everyone else. That is why the trail is listed as open but people say it is closed as you can't access it the typical way. You can get around the wash out area by going past Bretz Mill campground in Blue canyon and you come out where Rock Creek Road and Dinky Creek road meet. There have been people going in and out of Bald Mountain this way sense the wash out. It will add a significant amount of time to get to the tower. No idea on how much snow is up there as I haven't been yet this year.

When we were up there Dinkey Creek was NOT washed out in this area.  However Rock Creek Rd WAS washed out in just before the turn-off to the Bald Mountain trail.  We never made it that far due to traffic.  The going wasn't too bad up Rock Creek Rd for the most part though by afternoon when it had been churned up and gotten soft it became a challenge.  We did encounter a Toyota truggie on 40s that got stuck in the hole and was unable to get out, spending the night up there until his buddy could come back the next day and get him out.

Of course it's been almost a month since then with some warm and some cold, so who knows what it looks like now.

Archived