Baja California 2018 - October 13th - 20th

Dear NCLR amigos y amigas!

It's time to plan out another Baja trip but the first half of the year was simply too busy for me to get something on the books.

Since NCLR has historically received requests to do a Baja trip later in the year, that's what we're shooting for this time.

Start planning!  Book the time, block off your calendars and reserve your spot on the beach this year.  Post in the thread if you plan on attending and I'll start building out the list.

There will be a LOT more information showing up here (so check back frequently) but consider this first post your notice -- this trip is on!

IMG_0751.jpg IMG_0733.jpg IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg IMG_0805.jpg IMG_0844.jpg

***UPDATE***: Itinerary Details are now posted (links below):

Day 1      [Link]

Day 1b     [Link]

Day 2      [Link]

Day 3      [Link]

Day 4/5/6  [Link]

Day 7      [Link]

Day 8      

Attendees (truck) [UPDATED 10/09]:

Erin & Jared (LR4)
Michael P. (Range Rover Classic)
Alan B. (Discovery Series II)
Martin (Range Rover Sport)
Jeff (Range Rover Classic)

Out:

Justin & Son (Range Rover Classic)

Jeanne C. (Discovery I)

Daniel (Discovery Series II)

Cris (Defender 90)
Chad (Range Rover Sport)
Rupert (LR3)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay... So I have seen this trip a handful of times and always end up passing.

I will do everything possible to make it this year in the classic. Count me and my son in 

Is a week long enough?

Easiest answer is never! But that depends on how much driving you want to see. It's 8-9hrs to the boarder from here.

Then Baja has tons of possibilities depending on off road vs on.

I'd like to go back again one day... maybe after grad school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest answer is never! 

This is the most accurate answer.

But seriously, the current destination I'm using for planning is Bahia de Los Angeles -- it's a 16-hour run from the bay area (I have driven it in a single day, but I don't think anyone wants to be put through that.)   ;) Bahia is a good run that can be comfortably reached in a week-long trip.  Getting to spots in BCS like Mulegé or Loreto is probably something more aligned to a 10-day trip.

Generally we're heading out of the south bay around 4:00-5:00AM which gets us to the border at a reasonable time in the afternoon.  This also helps us set up to be on the bottom side of Ensenada or further so we're prepared for the 6.5 hour drive down to BdLA the next day.  Much of the path we will take is paved which makes for a quick drive.  Some parts we will intentionally go off road for, but all stock trucks can make it.

A week-long trip from Saturday to Saturday should provide 3 days at the beach... plenty of time to relax, fish, go on a boat tour, meet the locals, etc.  In addition to the beach time, the drive has places along the way we can explore.

I'm already getting excited to head out and it's months away...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tentatively yes - sign me up. Spanish speaker also.

Muy bien tio!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I just got back from a month and half trip to Mexico and I spent about two weeks in Baja and the rest of the time in Mexico main land.  I drove all the way down to the border of Guatemala and Belize.   The souther you go in Mexico the most beautiful it gets.  I will be posting some pictures of my trip on a different tread I started. 

For those who are in the fence of going to Baja, I highly recommended, if security is your concern.  I travel through Mexico by myself and never felt treated or unsafe.  I camped most of the way.   

AA

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

The Baja trip is fast approaching and I have not been able to find any specific details about this years trip.

It would be great if the trip organizers updated this thread with the trip specifics soon .

Regards,

Michael

Greetings,

The Baja trip is fast approaching and I have not been able to find any specific details about this years trip.

It would be great if the trip organizers updated this thread with the trip specifics soon .

Regards,

Michael

Fair question - I will get the route plotted over the next couple of days and send it out.

If there is any question on whether the trip is happening, do not be alarmed -- it is on.  We've had basic discussions about the timing with our partners at Baja Land (the Land Rover club for Baja California) to see if we can get them on board for the trip as well.  I'll keep you posted more regularly starting in the next week.

If you want to see the final destination, start looking up 'Bahia de Los Angeles' - it is a beach that's about 9 hours away from the US/Mexico border if we do all-freeway driving on Hwy 1.  If the plans allow for it and most people are interested in taking some detours/excursions, we may cut over at the start to Hwy 2 and head out via Mike's Sky Rancho.  It's a little more technical but affords views you won't get running only on the highway.

Thanks for hanging in there.

What’s the maximum Number of the caravan?

6-7 trucks from NCLR would be fine.  I think the past few Baja trips we've run, the interest is high and the last minute dropouts are higher, so I'm anticipating a similar scenario where we'll land on about 4-5 trucks actually heading down together.

Looks like the list isn't updated.. but these are new additions (to first 5) who are going (committed?):

• gurka
  • lithium1330 (me)
  • AdvRvr
  • Rovrman2

Front page updated... thanks Chris

Archived